In 2019, Manhattan Institute renamed the Social Entrepreneurship Awards to the Civil Society Awards. Learn more here.
On November 29, the Manhattan Institute held its Social Entrepreneurship Awards to honor those who have given back to their communities and to highlight organizations dedicated to building a vibrant civil society.
The recipient of the 2017 William E. Simon Prize for Lifetime Achievement in Social Entrepreneurship:
- Det. Steven McDonald, New York Police Department (In Memoriam)
The winners of the 2017 Richard Cornuelle Award for Social Entrepreneurship:
- Kelly Orians, Rising Foundations, New Orleans, LA
- Daniel Zaharopol, Bridge to Enter Advanced Mathematics, NY, NY
- Nick Ringger, Community Warehouse, Milwaukee, WI
- Rev. Trevor Rubingh, New City Kids, Jersey City, NJ
Master of Ceremonies:
- Howard Husock, Director, Social Entrepreneurship Initiative and Vice President, Research and Publications at MI
Founded in 2001, MI's Social Entrepreneurship Initiative combines research and events on the role of nonprofit organizations with awards to recognize the best of America's new generation of nonprofit leaders.