ABOUT MANHATTAN INSTITUTE
The Manhattan Institute, is a NYC-based, 501(c)(3) think tank non-profit. The mission of the Manhattan Institute is to develop and disseminate new ideas that foster greater economic choice and individual responsibility. The Institute serves as a leading voice of free-market ideas, shaping political culture since our founding in 1977. Ideas that have changed the United States and its urban areas for the better—welfare reform, tort reform, proactive policing, and pro-growth tax policies, among others—are the heart of MI’s legacy. While continuing with what is tried and true, we are constantly developing new ways of advancing our message in the battle of ideas.
This is a full-time exempt position. Based in New York City and reporting to the EVP, the VP of Development will join the Institute’s management team and be responsible for overseeing the growth and strategy of the development program and its team and operations. He/she will be an accomplished fundraising leader and strategic thinker who will use their knowledge of best practices and strong management experience to build fundraising momentum.
- Provide vision and leadership for all aspects of Manhattan Institute’s fundraising program;
- Develop and implement a comprehensive and sophisticated fundraising plan with a focus on identifying, prioritizing research on and cultivating relationships with new major donors while stewarding all donors with excellence;
- Working collaboratively with the rest of the management team, create strategies for success, set appropriate development goals and milestones, and implement benchmarking and progress measurement procedures;
- Enhance development team operations, including pipeline management, data analysis, and marketing materials;
- Conceptualize and develop a strategy that applies innovative fundraising tools to take advantage of growth opportunities;
- Lead and manage its operational infrastructure, including strategic development plans and budgets and tracking systems;
- Work closely with the Institute’s President, positioning and supporting him for donor cultivation and major gift solicitations.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
- Minimum 7 years professional fundraising or sales experience
- Track record of success in developing and implementing scalable fundraising plans, cultivating donors, and soliciting individual major gifts, as well as foundation support
- Systems-oriented and data-driven leader with well-honed fundraising operations skills, including the ability to critically evaluate fundraising efforts
- Strong management skills and experience capable of inspiring purpose while managing teams and executing plans.
- Analytical, organized, proactive, detail-oriented with strong ability to prioritize
- Outstanding oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Background in marketing and branding, with the ability to raise brand awareness a plus
Applicants should email a cover letter that clearly lays out their interest in the position, how their experience would be valuable to MI specifically, and salary requirements. Please email the cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and addressed to Ilana Golant, EVP.