The Manhattan Institute’s Social Media Marketing Manager works closely with members of the communications and marketing teams to support, manage, and execute a range of campaigns that raise the Institute’s profile among key stakeholder audiences, thought leaders, and the general public. In this role, the Social Media Marketing Manager must be both strategic and creative; he/she must have a finger on the pulse of the digital media landscape and be able to identify new opportunities for the Manhattan Institute and its online brand(s). We are seeking candidates interested in the policy arena and passionate about working in the field of marketing and communications. The Social Media Marketing Manager reports directly the Director of Marketing and liaises frequently across departments.
Manage all paid and organic social media accounts across brands:
- Compile ad hoc and monthly reporting on key performance indicators;
- Adhere to strict editorial standards to ensure messaging and copy are on-brand, accurate, and relevant;
- Formulate, manage, and track social media budget;
- Maintain and accelerate follower, traffic, and engagement growth;
- Weaponize earned media in the digital space, e.g. share adaptations on social, DM contributors, prompt influencers
- Conduct live social media coverage at key Manhattan Institute events; curate snackable video excerpts;
- Review and approve social media mentions, daily.
Offer strategic input for new initiatives, special projects, and one-off email marketing campaigns:
- Consistently analyze competitors and make recommendations for maximizing impact of original content;
- Act as a sounding board for digital media ideas, competitor analysis, and other promotional thoughts for content;
- Develop new acquisition strategies; spearhead audience expansion efforts with colleagues in department;
- Strategize plans with Director of Marketing;
- Provide ongoing education and insight in the latest trends of the digital landscape.
Support several interdepartmental endeavors:
- Oversee critical marketing projects (e.g. donor appeals, scholar wins, research releases, magazine rollout);
- Work with project managers to create and deploy email blasts to non-media lists for reports, books, testimonies;
- Moderate online commenting system on Manhattan Institute’s website via Disqus;
- Provide marketing support for development (fundraising) team;
- Help lead City Journal planning meetings;
- Participate in monthly marketing, staff, and editorial meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree with 3+ years’ experience in relevant communications, public relations, media, or marketing positions;
- Demonstrated track record of raising organizational profiles with creative and thoughtful strategies;
- Expertise in social media and digital marketing with an eye for graphic design and an ability to manage production of both print and digital content; aptitude for capitalizing on news hooks and managing editorial calendar(s);
- Familiarity and well-established relationships with the policy and opinion-shaping community, especially in think tanks, media, academic communities, and on Capitol Hill;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, tact and diplomacy with the ability to develop and maintain cooperative and successful working relationships with direct employees and colleagues;
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills with an unrelenting eye for detail;
- Experience with Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn, Instagram, Swydo, Adobe Creative Suite, MailChimp, Sprout Social.
Applicants should email a cover letter that clearly lays out their interest in the position, how their experience would be valuable to MI specifically, and salary requirements. A stock cover letter will not be considered. Please email the cover letter, your resume, and three references (names and contact info) in a single PDF or similar file to email@example.com and addressed to Tara-Marie Lynch, Director of Marketing.