The Manhattan Institute (MI) is seeking a press officer to promote MI’s scholars and their work to national and local media outlets. Focusing on fields of study such as civil society, economic growth, education, health care, legal reform, policing and public safety, and urban policy, the press officer will be responsible for cultivating, maintaining and expanding relationships with beat reporters, opinion editors, columnists, and broadcast producers to ensure the Institute and the work of its scholars are covered by local and national media.
This position can be based in New York City or Washington, D.C..
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Cultivate, maintain and expand good working relationships with individual journalists
- Secure media placements for MI scholars in local and national print and broadcast outlets, and respond to media inquiries
- Edit and place op-eds in both national and local newspapers
- Manage press attendance at and coverage of MI events
- Monitor the news for hooks and media coverage
- Write and distribute press releases for papers, books, and events
- Work closely with other departments to ensure strategies are aligned across the organization
- 1-3 years of experience in media relations, journalism, or related field, with broadcast experience a plus
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in communications, journalism, public/media relations, government or a related field
- Strong interpersonal, writing, and editing skills
- A broad understanding of and interest in the media landscape, and the ability to identify trends and opportunities to pitch the Institute and its scholars to the press
Send a resume, cover letter, references and writing samples or other related work to, Michele Jacob, director of communications at firstname.lastname@example.org