Manhattan Institute for Policy Research (MI) is a community of scholars, journalists, activists, and civic leaders who are united by a shared commitment to advancing economic opportunity, individual liberty, and the rule of law in America and its great cities. MI is independent, creative, and bold, and we are hiring a like-minded Communications Associate to join our communications team.
The ideal entry-level candidate will be a thoughtful news consumer, detail-oriented team player with strong organizational skills, and a self-starter who thinks strategically and works well both independently and collaboratively as part of a tight-knit group. We are looking for someone to help us track and communicate press coverage and media trends, both internally and externally. The person filling this role will report to MI’s Director of Media Relations, Nora Kenney. This is an in-person role, with some flexibility for hybrid work at the discretion of Ms. Kenney.
Data management and media tracking:
- Track press coverage and prepare regular and ad hoc media reporting documents;
- Manage media database, media research, and media list building;
- Track external deadlines for external event and award submissions;
- Assist with logistical responsibilities including but not limited to managing shared departmental calendar, tracking expenses, streamlining processes.
Press and earned media:
- Manage incoming press inquiries and assist with external press outreach;
- Draft and disseminate press releases and marketing documents for reports and books;
- Assist with press interactions related to Manhattan Institute events;
- Assist with media outreach for our City Journal magazine.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience;
- Very comfortable with Microsoft Office (especially Excel);
- Exceptionally detail oriented;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong skills in time management, including the ability to balance multiple priorities and deadlines;
- Database and/or data analysis experience a plus;
- Experience or interest in public policy a plus.
MI offers generous benefits, including a hybrid work environment, four weeks paid vacation, a Summer Fridays program, paid paternity/maternity leave, medical and dental coverage, medical and dependent care FSA, mental health benefits, remote medicine, paid company cell phone, life insurance, and a 401(k) with a company-funded match. MI staff also benefit from the opportunity to collaborate and socialize with prominent scholars in our policy space.
The salary for this position will be $58,500/year.
To apply, please fill out the form below. A writing sample is not required for this position. Please be sure to include:
- Cover letter explaining your interest in MI and working with our Communications team
You can also sign up to receive email updates about posted jobs.