The Manhattan Institute’s Audience Development Manager works closely with members of the communications and marketing teams to support, manage, and execute a range of marketing campaigns that raise the Institute’s profile among key stakeholder audiences, thought leaders, and the general public. In this role, the Audience Development Manager must be both strategic and creative; he/she must have a finger on the pulse of the digital media landscape and be able to identify new opportunities for the Manhattan Institute and its online brand(s). We are seeking candidates interested in the policy arena and passionate about working in the field of marketing and communications. The Audience Development Manager reports directly to the Director of Marketing and liaises frequently across departments.
Manage all paid and organic social media accounts across brands:
- Compile ad hoc and monthly reporting on key performance indicators;
- Adhere to strict editorial standards to ensure messaging and copy are on-brand, accurate, and relevant;
- Formulate, manage, and track social media budget;
- Maintain and accelerate follower, traffic, engagement, and conversion growth;
- Amplify earned media in the digital space, e.g. share op-eds on social, DM contributors, prompt influencers;
- Conduct live social media coverage at key Manhattan Institute events; curate snackable video excerpts;
- Review and approve social media mentions daily.
Manage email marketing campaigns:
- Draft and deploy daily external MI Today newsletter, with input from communications and marketing teams;
- Draft and deploy one-off email marketing campaigns for special projects, new initiatives, reports, books, testimonies, and our City Journal magazine;
- Curate lists, discover and leverage new audiences for targeted campaigns.
Offer strategic input on institutional priorities and share best practices and updates on the evolving digital landscape at large:
- Strategize plans with Director of Marketing;
- Consistently analyze competitors and make recommendations for maximizing impact of original content;
- Act as a sounding board for digital media ideas, competitor analysis, and other promotional thoughts for content;
- Develop new acquisition strategies; spearhead audience expansion efforts with colleagues in department;
- Provide ongoing education and insight in the latest trends of the digital landscape.
Support several interdepartmental endeavors:
- Moderate online commenting system on Manhattan Institute’s website via Disqus;
- Provide marketing support for development (fundraising) team;
- Participate in marketing, staff, and editorial meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree with 3+ years’ experience in relevant communications, public relations, media, or marketing positions;
- Demonstrated track record of raising organizational profiles with creative and thoughtful strategies;
- Expertise in social media and digital marketing with an eye for graphic design and an ability to manage production of both print and digital content; aptitude for capitalizing on news hooks and managing editorial calendar(s);
- Familiarity and well-established relationships with the policy and opinion-shaping community, especially in think tanks, media, academic communities, and on Capitol Hill;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, tact and diplomacy with the ability to develop and maintain cooperative and successful working relationships with direct employees and colleagues;
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills with an unrelenting eye for detail;
- Experience with Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn, Instagram, Swydo, Adobe Creative Suite, MailChimp, Sprout Social.
Applicants should email a cover letter that clearly lays out their interest in the position, how their experience would be valuable to MI specifically, and salary requirements. Please email the cover letter, your resume, and three references (names and contact info) in a single PDF or similar file to firstname.lastname@example.org and addressed to Ilana Golant, COO.