Peter Salins is a senior fellow of the Manhattan Institute's Center for State and Local Leadership, University Professor of Political Science at Stony Brook University and director of its graduate program in public policy, a fellow of the American Institute of Certified Planners, a director of the Citizens Housing and Planning Council of New York, and a trustee of the Lavanburg Foundation.
His books include Assimilation, American Style (Basic Books, 1996), Scarcity by Design: The Legacy of New York City's Housing Policies (Harvard University Press, 1992) with Gerard Mildner, The Ecology of Housing Destruction: Economic Effects of Public Intervention in the Housing Market (New York University Press, 1980), New York Unbound: The City and Politics of the Future (Basil Blackwell, 1988), and Housing America's Poor (University of North Carolina Press, 1987).
Salins has published articles in a wide variety of newspapers, periodicals, and scholarly journals, including Commentary, Reason, Journal of the American Institute of Planners, The New York Times, The Public Interest, The New Republic, and City Journal. His most recent City Journal article is "Liberating Development"ť (July 2009). He is a past editor of City Journal and the Journal of the American Planning Association.
Among his other professional activities, Salins has served on Mayor Rudolph Giulianiâ€™s Advisory Commission on the Health and Hospitals Corporation and prepared the mayorâ€™s transition committee report on the City Planning Commission. He has also provided testimony to the U.S. President's Commission on Housing and advised the White House domestic policy staff on urban policy. Salins has made numerous television and radio appearances including on The Charlie Rose Show and All Things Considered.
Salins earned bachelor of architecture, master of planning and Ph.D. in metropolitan studies degrees from Syracuse University.
[SORT BY CATEGORY] [SORT BY PUBLICATION TYPE]
- The Conservative Case For Legalizing America's Illegal Immigrants, New York Post, 06-14-14
- Getting Real About Illegal Immigration, Orange County Register, 04-29-14
- Preschool Really Is the Magic Bullet, RealClearPolicy, 03-20-14
- Disability Insurance Reform: Ending Idleness As We Know It, Forbes.com, 03-13-14
- How the Universities Got This Way, Minding the Campus, 02-02-10
- A Pain-Free Fix To Boost City Growth, New York Post, 08-10-09
- The Test Passes, Colleges Fail, The New York Times, 11-17-08
- Use Social Security to Seal the Border, The New York Times, 07-03-07
- The 'Guest Worker' Folly, Wall Street Journal, 06-06-07
- Dark Tax Cloud Still Looms Over N.Y.C., New York Daily News, 02-01-07
- Assimilation Nation, The New York Times, 05-11-06
- NYC's Housing Gap: Squeezing the Middle Class, New York Post, 07-01-04
- There Is a Way to End The Housing Crunch, New York Daily News, 02-27-02
City Journal articles