Peter Salins is a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute, a former editor and contributor to City Journal, and an expert on housing, immigration, higher education, and New York City. He is currently University Professor of Political Science at Stony Brook University and director of its graduate program in public policy; and formerly, Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs of the State University of New York system.
Salins is a fellow of the American Institute of Certified Planners and director of the Citizens Housing and Planning Council of New York. He served on Mayor Giulianiís Advisory Commission on the Health and Hospitals Corporation and prepared the mayorís transition committee report on the City Planning Commission. Salins has provided testimony to the U.S. Presidentís Commission on Housing and advised the White House domestic policy staff on urban policy. He has made numerous TV and radio appearances, including on The Charlie Rose Show and NPRís All Things Considered.
A former editor of the Journal of the American Planning Association, Salins is the author of The Smart Society: Strengthening Americaís Greatest Resource, Itís People (2014), as well as The Ecology of Housing Destruction: Economic Effects of Public Intervention in the Housing Market (1980), and Assimilation, American Style (1997); coauthor of Scarcity by Design: The Legacy of New York Cityís Housing Policies (1992); and editor of Housing Americaís Poor (1987), and New York Unbound: The City and Politics of the Future (1988). His articles have appeared in Commentary, Reason, Journal of the American Institute of Planners, New York Times, Public Interest, New Republic, and City Journal. Salins holds a B.A. in architecture, M.A. in planning, and a Ph.D. in metropolitan studies, all from Syracuse University.
[SORT BY CATEGORY] [SORT BY PUBLICATION TYPE]
- The Conservative Case For Legalizing America's Illegal Immigrants, New York Post, 06-14-14
- Getting Real About Illegal Immigration, Orange County Register, 04-29-14
- Preschool Really Is the Magic Bullet, RealClearPolicy, 03-20-14
- Disability Insurance Reform: Ending Idleness As We Know It, Forbes.com, 03-13-14
- How the Universities Got This Way, Minding the Campus, 02-02-10
- A Pain-Free Fix To Boost City Growth, New York Post, 08-10-09
- The Test Passes, Colleges Fail, The New York Times, 11-17-08
- Use Social Security to Seal the Border, The New York Times, 07-03-07
- The 'Guest Worker' Folly, Wall Street Journal, 06-06-07
- Dark Tax Cloud Still Looms Over N.Y.C., New York Daily News, 02-01-07
- Assimilation Nation, The New York Times, 05-11-06
- NYC's Housing Gap: Squeezing the Middle Class, New York Post, 07-01-04
- There Is a Way to End The Housing Crunch, New York Daily News, 02-27-02
City Journal articles