Judith Miller is an adjunct fellow at the Manhattan Institute and a City Journal contributing editor. A best-selling author and Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative reporter formerly with the New York Times, she has won numerous awards for her articles and her defense of the First Amendment.
Since 2008, Ms. Miller has been a commentator for Fox News, speaking on terrorism and other national security issues, the Middle East, U.S. foreign policy, and the need to strike a delicate balance between protecting both national security and civil liberties in a post-9/11 world.
Prior to leaving the Times in October, 2005, she spent 85 days in jail to defend a reporter's right to protect confidential sources. That year she received the Society of Professional Journalists' "First Amendment Award" for her defense of an independent press. Since leaving jail, she has been advocating the enactment of a Federal shield law to protect the relationship between reporters and their sources and the public's right to know.
Ms. Miller has written four books and contributed chapters to several others. Her most recent book, "Germs: Biological Weapons and America's Secret War" (Simon & Schuster, 2001), written with two Times colleagues, topped the best seller's list in the wake of 9/11 and the anthrax letter terrorist attacks. Her previous book, "God Has Ninety-Nine Names", (Simon & Schuster, 1996) explores the spread of Islamic extremism in ten Middle Eastern countries, including Israel and Iran. "One, By One, By One" (Simon & Schuster, 1990) is a highly praised account of how people in six nations have distorted the memory of the Holocaust. That same year, she co-authored "Saddam Hussein and the Crisis in the Gulf" (Times Books), which also topped The Times Best Seller list during the 1991 Gulf war. Her new book, “The Story, A Reporter’s Journey,” is being published by Simon & Schuster this spring.
In 2002, Ms. Miller was part of a small team that won a Pulitzer Prize for "explanatory journalism" for her January, 2001 series on Osama bin Laden and Al Qaeda. That same year, she won an Emmy for her work on a Nova/New York Times documentary based on articles for her book, "Germs." She was part of the Times team that won the prestigious DuPont award for a series of programs on terrorism for PBS's "Frontline."
Ms. Miller holds a bachelor's degree from Barnard and a master's from Princeton University's Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs. She resides in New York City and Sag Harbor with her husband, Jason Epstein, a publisher and writer.
Judith Miller was interviewed by U.S. News & World Report
on the proposed Federal Shield Law, which would protect the right
of journalists to refuse to reveal their sources. Click here
to read the July 29, 2008 interview.
[SORT BY CATEGORY] [SORT BY PUBLICATION TYPE]
- Bloody History Repeating In Iraq, New York Daily News, 06-19-14
- Sarin, Germs And The Syria Deal, New York Daily News, 09-22-13
- New York, 12 Years After Sept. 11, Washington Examiner, 09-13-13
- Egyptians Don't Want To Be Ruled By a Pharaoh, FoxNews.com, 07-03-13
- Obama's AP Probe Sets Dangerous Precedent, NewsMax, 05-14-13
- How to Stop Terrorists Before They Kill, Wall Street Journal, 04-25-13
- Is the War on Terror Over?, FoxNews.com, 04-30-12
- How the NYPD Foiled the Post-9/11 Terror Plots, Wall Street Journal, 09-10-11
- New York City Is Safer Ten Years After 9/11, Thanks to the NYPD, FoxNews.com, 09-06-11
- Curtains Up for Arab Despots, Wall Street Journal, 08-08-11
- While the U.S. Has Been Debating the Debt Ceiling, Storm Clouds Have Gathered Over the Mideast, New York Daily News, 08-03-11
- International Criminal Court's Arrest Warrants Guarantee That Qaddafi Won't Be Leaving Libya Any Time Soon, Forbes, 06-27-11
- The Libyan Opposition Makes Its Case, Wall Street Journal, 05-19-11
- Get Home to Egypt!, New York Post, 05-17-11
- The NYPD's Post-Osama Challenge, New York Post, 05-04-11
- Bin Laden Is Dead Is a Power Struggle Inside Al Qaeda Next?, FoxNews.com, 05-02-11
- Mubarak Finds a Strong Ally in Israel, FoxNews.com, 02-01-11
- Time for Straight Talk On Afghanistan and the War on Terror, FoxNews.com, 01-06-11
- The Plame Affair, Hollywood Style, Wall Street Journal, 12-09-10
- A Glossy Approach to Inciting Terrorism, Wall Street Journal, 11-27-10
- More Articles >>
City Journal articles
- Chattanoogas Lone Wolf, 17 July 2015
- The Jihad At Home, 6 May 2015
- Surveillance-Proof, 17 October 2014
- Lonely Ukraine, 16 September 2014
- Commissioner Candor, Summer 2014
- This Is a New Port Authority, 26 June 2014
- Collaborate and Adapt, 4 March 2014
- Chilly Neighbors, 24 September 2013
- Egypt Spring, Phase Two, 2 July 2013
- Not in New York?, 25 April 2013
- Somber Linings, 16 April 2013
- The Pharaoh Weeps, 4 April 2013
- Awlakis Martyrs March On, 19 October 2012
- Bagels and Plots, 7 September 2012
- Pulitzers for Nothing, 18 April 2012
- David Cranes California Quest, Winter 2012
- The State of the NYPD, 18 January 2012
- San Franciscos Pension Crisis, 7 November 2011
- New York 9/11/11, Summer 2011
- Hollywood Explains the Economy, Part 2, 31 May 2011
- More City Journal Articles >>