Steven Malanga is City Journal's senior editor, a Manhattan Institute senior fellow, and a RealClearMarkets.com columnist. He is author of the recently published Shakedown: The Continuing Conspiracy Against the American Taxpayer, about the bankrupting of state and local governments by a new political powerhouse led by public-sector unions. He writes about the intersection of urban economies, business communities, and public policy. He was recently cited as one of Governor Chris Christie's intellectual influences (BusinessWeek, August 2010).
Prior to joining City Journal, Malanga was executive editor of Crain's New York Business for seven years, serving on the publication's editorial board and writing a weekly column. He also supervised special projects, including investigative stories. Before that, Malanga served for seven years as managing editor of Crain's. During his tenure at the publication, it twice won the General Excellence award from the Association of Area Business Publications.
In 1995, Malanga was a finalist for a Gerald Loeb Award for Excellence in Financial Journalism for the series "Nonprofits: New York's new Tammany Hall," which he co-authored. In 1998, a series he co-authored, "Tort-ured State," about the influence of trial lawyers in New York State, was voted best investigative story of the year by the AABP. The previous year, a computer-assisted project that Malanga designed, reported, and wrote on Small Business Administration loans in New York City was voted one of the year's best investigative stories by AABP.
Malanga has also written articles on various topics for The Wall Street Journal, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, and other publications. Malanga is the author of The New New Left (Ivan R. Dee, 2005) and The Immigration Solution: A Better Plan Than Today's (Ivan R. Dee, 2007), co-authored with Heather Mac Donald and Victor Davis Hanson.
- CNBC's "The Kudlow Report"
- Fox News's "Sean Hannity Show"
- WGN's "Extension 720"
- WTMJ's "Midday with Charlie Sykes"
- Fox News Radio's "WSAU News"
- KSFO's "Brian Sussman Show"
- TRN's "Jerry Doyle Show"
- Fox Business Network's "Varney & Co."
- Fox Business Network's "The Willis Report"
- PBS's "Nightly Business Report"
- Fox Business Network's "Stossel"
- Fox News's "Journal Editorial Report"
[SORT BY CATEGORY] [SORT BY PUBLICATION TYPE]
- Pro-Business Governors Send Love Letters To the Overtaxed, RealClearMarkets, 05-15-13
- What the Rise of Republican Governors Tells Us About the GOP's Future, FoxNews.com, 05-02-13
- The Irony Of An Internet Tax That Demands Simplification, RealClearMarkets, 05-01-13
- Is Your 10-Year Target For the Dow 50,000?, RealClearMarkets, 04-17-13
- Anthony & Malcolm, New York Post, 04-13-13
- Two California Economies Head In Different Directions, RealClearMarkets, 04-03-13
- The Debt Bomb That Taxpayers Won't See Coming, Wall Street Journal, 03-30-13
- Cuomo's Jersey-style Pension Ploy, New York Post, 03-28-13
- Is the SEC Letting States Get Away With Fraud?, RealClearMarkets, 03-20-13
- Will Los Angeles Join Detroit As a Fiscal Zombie City?, RealClearMarkets, 03-07-13
- California's Sad Pension Saga, Los Angeles Times, 02-24-13
- Manufacturing Makes a Comeback, Obama Oddly Takes Credit, RealClearMarkets, 02-20-13
- A Deficit of Trust Impedes Immigration Reform, RealClearMarkets, 02-06-13
- Two Governors Propose Radical Tax Reform, RealClearMarkets, 01-23-13
- States Cut Taxes Even As Washington Raises Them, RealClearMarkets, 01-09-13
- The Muni Bond Tax Break Is a Tempting Reform Target, RealClearMarkets, 12-19-12
- Bad Boy Cities and States Test Fiscal Limits, RealClearMarkets, 12-05-12
- New Jersey Corruption and Mismanagement are a Drag on Prosperity, New Jersey Online, 12-02-12
- Big Labor's Big Victories in State Elections, Wall Street Journal, 11-17-12
- Hurricane Sandy Exposes Infrastructure Neglect, RealClearMarkets, 11-08-12
- More Articles >>
- Steven Malanga discusses his article "Airfield of Dreams" with Brian C. Anderson, 10-24-12
- Steven Malanga discusses his City Journal article, "The State Gambling Addiction", 07-03-12
- Steven Malanga interviews Collin Hitt of the Illinois Policy Institute about the failure of the Illinois legislature to tackle pension reform and their state's fiscal crisis, 06-05-12
- Steven Malanga interviews Christian Schneider about his recent City Journal article and Governor Walker's successful strategies that made reform in Wisconsin possible., 12-28-11
- Steven Malanga discusses his article, The Next Wave of Urban Reform, with Brian Anderson., 11-04-10
- Steven Malanga discusses his article from the spring 2010 issue of City Journal, "The Beholden State," with City Journal editor Brian Anderson, 04-19-10
- Steven Malanga interviews Josh Barro and Stuart Buck about their new report, "Underfunded Teacher Pensions: It's Worse Than You Think", 04-14-10
- Steven Greenhut discusses his book, "Plunder!" with Steven Malanga, 11-25-09
- Steven Malanga Reads "Small Businesses to NYC: Get Off Our Backs!", 10-19-09
- Brian Anderson and Steven Malanga Discuss Whatever Happened to the Work Ethic, 08-06-09
- Edward Glaeser discusses his article "The Reinventive City" with Steven Malanga, 07-08-09
- Brian Anderson and Steven Malanga discuss his article "The City's Finances", 07-02-09
- Steven Malanga discusses his article 'Welfare Reform, Phase Two' with Brian Anderson, 02-03-09
- Steven Malanga reads his article 'The Bailout and the Vanishing Taxpayer', 10-07-08
- Steven Malanga discusses his article 'The Professional Panhandling Plague', 08-24-08
- Steven Malanga reads his article "Why illegal immigration alone doesn't matter", 11-07-07
- Brian Anderson interviews Steven Malanga regarding his article "The New Privatization", 08-05-07
- More Podcasts >>
City Journal articles
- Rise of the Republican Governors, Spring 2013
- The Pension Fund That Ate California, Winter 2013
- Storm of Protectionism, Winter 2013
- Airfields of Dreams, Autumn 2012
- More Hispanic Voting Myths, 13 November 2012
- The One Bailout Local Governments Can Afford, 7 November 2012
- Death by Arbitration, Autumn 2012
- Bushwhacked by Obama, Summer 2012
- The State Gambling Addiction, Summer 2012
- Redistricting Wars, Spring 2012
- Illinois Shows What Not to Do, Spring 2012
- The Court That Broke Jersey, Winter 2012
- Convention Wisdom, Winter 2012
- Cali to Business: Get Out!, Autumn 2011
- Hands Off My Dues!, Autumn 2011
- Lock People Up? Not in Britain!, 18 August 2011
- Pension Propaganda, Summer 2011
- The Compensation Monster Devouring Cities, Summer 2011
- The Washington Diet, Spring 2011
- Union Power Comes in Many Forms, Spring 2011
- More City Journal Articles >>