Steven Malanga is City Journal's senior editor, a Manhattan Institute senior fellow, and a former RealClearMarkets.com columnist. He is author of the recently published Shakedown: The Continuing Conspiracy Against the American Taxpayer, about the bankrupting of state and local governments by a new political powerhouse led by public-sector unions. He writes about the intersection of urban economies, business communities, and public policy. He was recently cited as one of Governor Chris Christie's intellectual influences (BusinessWeek, August 2010).
Prior to joining City Journal, Malanga was executive editor of Crain's New York Business for seven years, serving on the publication's editorial board and writing a weekly column. He also supervised special projects, including investigative stories. Before that, Malanga served for seven years as managing editor of Crain's. During his tenure at the publication, it twice won the General Excellence award from the Association of Area Business Publications.
In 1995, Malanga was a finalist for a Gerald Loeb Award for Excellence in Financial Journalism for the series "Nonprofits: New York's new Tammany Hall," which he co-authored. In 1998, a series he co-authored, "Tort-ured State," about the influence of trial lawyers in New York State, was voted best investigative story of the year by the AABP. The previous year, a computer-assisted project that Malanga designed, reported, and wrote on Small Business Administration loans in New York City was voted one of the year's best investigative stories by AABP.
Malanga has also written articles on various topics for The Wall Street Journal, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, and other publications. Malanga is the author of The New New Left (Ivan R. Dee, 2005) and The Immigration Solution: A Better Plan Than Today's (Ivan R. Dee, 2007), co-authored with Heather Mac Donald and Victor Davis Hanson.
- The Wall Street Journal’s “Opinion Journal with Mary Kissel”
- CNBC's "The Kudlow Report" with Larry Kudlow
- Fox News' "Hannity" with Sean Hannity
- Bloomberg TV’s “Street Smart with Trish Regan”
- PBS's "Nightly Business Report"
- Fox Business Network’s “After the Bell with Liz Claman and David Asman”
- Newsmax TV’s “The Steve Malzberg Show”
- WTMJ's "Midday with Charlie Sykes"
- Fox News Radio's "WSAU News"
- KSFO's "Brian Sussman Show"
- TRN's "Jerry Doyle Show"
- Fox Business Network's "Varney & Co." with Stuart Varney
- Fox Business Network's "The Willis Report" with Gerri Willis
- Fox Business Network's "Stossel"
- Fox News's "Journal Editorial Report"
[SORT BY CATEGORY] [SORT BY PUBLICATION TYPE]
- Who's Minding Public Pensions?, Los Angeles Times, 08-28-14
- How City Hall Kills The Middle Class, New York Post, 07-29-14
- Driving America Off A Cliff, FoxNews.com, 07-09-14
- New Jersey's Warning For New York, New York Post, 06-05-14
- How Activist Judges Increase Your Taxes, Los Angeles Times, 06-01-14
- Newark Voters Turn On Cory Booker, New York Post, 05-15-14
- The Newark That Cory Booker Left Behind, Wall Street Journal, 05-10-14
- When Unions Use Non-Member Dues To Finance Political Activities, Washington Examiner, 04-29-14
- NJ Transit's Real Jam: Workers' Benefits, New York Post, 03-21-14
- Govs. Cuomo And Christie Face Off Over Taxes, The Epoch Times, 03-06-14
- Money-Hungry States Make Tax Grab From Businesses In Other States, Investor's Business Daily, 02-06-14
- NJ Transit's Super Bowl Disaster, New York Post, 02-03-14
- You Might Not Know Your City Is Going Broke, Bloomberg, 01-16-14
- The IRS Throws a Wrench Into Public Pension Reform, Wall Street Journal, 12-06-13
- Binding Arbitration Has Hurt, Not Helped, Struggling Cities, Investor's Business Daily, 12-04-13
- Federal Bailouts For Cities Would Reward Bad Behavior, Investor's Business Daily, 11-06-13
- How To Stop Courts' Blockades Of Pension Reform, Bloomberg, 10-16-13
- Legalizing Casinos: A Loser For NY, New York Post, 10-09-13
- How Chris Christie Split The Labor Movement In New Jersey, Wall Street Journal, 09-29-13
- Who Will Audit the Auditors?, Townhall.com, 09-09-13
- More Articles >>
- Paul Beston and City Journal Senior Editor, Steven Malanga, discuss his article from the City Journal Winter 2014 issue, “The State Tax Grab”., 01-16-14
- Paul Bestin, associate editor of City Journal and Steve Malanga, Senior Editor of City Journal, discuss his feature piece in the Summer 13 Issue, "The Indebted States of America.", 08-02-13
- Senior Editor Steven Malanga discusses "The Beholden State: California's Lost Promise and How to Recover It," the latest book from City Journal., 06-30-13
- Steven Malanga discusses his article "Airfield of Dreams" with Brian C. Anderson, 10-24-12
- Steven Malanga discusses his City Journal article, "The State Gambling Addiction", 07-03-12
- Steven Malanga interviews Collin Hitt of the Illinois Policy Institute about the failure of the Illinois legislature to tackle pension reform and their state's fiscal crisis, 06-05-12
- Steven Malanga interviews Christian Schneider about his recent City Journal article and Governor Walker's successful strategies that made reform in Wisconsin possible., 12-28-11
- Steven Malanga discusses his article, The Next Wave of Urban Reform, with Brian Anderson., 11-04-10
- Steven Malanga discusses his article from the spring 2010 issue of City Journal, "The Beholden State," with City Journal editor Brian Anderson, 04-19-10
- Steven Malanga interviews Josh Barro and Stuart Buck about their new report, "Underfunded Teacher Pensions: It's Worse Than You Think", 04-14-10
- Steven Greenhut discusses his book, "Plunder!" with Steven Malanga, 11-25-09
- Steven Malanga Reads "Small Businesses to NYC: Get Off Our Backs!", 10-19-09
- Brian Anderson and Steven Malanga Discuss Whatever Happened to the Work Ethic, 08-06-09
- Edward Glaeser discusses his article "The Reinventive City" with Steven Malanga, 07-08-09
- Brian Anderson and Steven Malanga discuss his article "The City's Finances", 07-02-09
- Steven Malanga discusses his article 'Welfare Reform, Phase Two' with Brian Anderson, 02-03-09
- Steven Malanga reads his article 'The Bailout and the Vanishing Taxpayer', 10-07-08
- Steven Malanga discusses his article 'The Professional Panhandling Plague', 08-24-08
- Steven Malanga reads his article "Why illegal immigration alone doesn't matter", 11-07-07
- Brian Anderson interviews Steven Malanga regarding his article "The New Privatization", 08-05-07
- More Podcasts >>
City Journal articles
- Its Hard to be Saints in the City, 2 September 2014
- The Cost of New York, Summer 2014
- A Tale of Two Scandals, 5 August 2014
- Borrowing Trouble, Summer 2014
- Why the State and Local Pension Problem Will Get Worse, 9 July 2014
- Grassroots Soccer Mania, 30 June 2014
- Brennans Revenge, Spring 2014
- A Biological Basis for Race?, 6 June 2014
- Fiscal Dodge City, 20 May 2014
- Oversold, Underfunded, 2 May 2014
- Detroits Message to Investors, Spring 2014
- Welcome to the Jungle, 13 April 2014
- Trolling for Dollars, 6 April 2014
- March Labor Madness, 2 April 2014
- Andrew Cuomos Election-Year Right Turn, 16 March 2014
- There Goes the Neighborhood, 25 February 2014
- The State Tax Grab, Winter 2014
- Follow the Money, Winter 2014
- Jerseys Un-Super Bowl, 28 January 2014
- De Blasios Weak Transition Game, 31 December 2013
- More City Journal Articles >>