Herbert I. London is a Manhattan Institute senior fellow, a contributing editor of MindingTheCampus.com, and president emeritus of Hudson Institute. He served as Hudson Institute's president from December 1997 to March 2011. He is professor emeritus and the former John M. Olin Professor of Humanities at New York University. London was responsible for creating the Gallatin School of Individualized Study in 1972 and was its dean until 1992. This school was organized to promote the study of "great books" and classic texts.
London is a graduate of Columbia University, 1960 and the recipient of a Ph.D. from New York University, 1966. In 1989, London was one of the Republican candidates for mayor of New York City. In 1990 he was the Conservative Party candidate for governor of New York garnering more votes than any third party candidate in the state's history. In 1994 he was the Republican Party candidate for New York State comptroller losing in a close election.
He is currently on the Hudson Institute board of trustees; the Board of Directors of the National Chamber Foundation; the board of directors of the International Transportation Systems; the board of trustees for BlackRock Funds, the board of advisors for Cerego LLC, the board of directors for InnoCentive; the board of governance for the American Jewish Congress; the board of advisors for Grantham University; the board of directors for AIMS; the editorial advisory board for the Edmund Burke Institute; the board of directors of the Coalition for a Secure Driver's License; the board of directors of the National Association for Industry-Education Cooperation, the board of trustees of Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, the board of advisors of the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, Inc., the editorial advisory board for the Texas Education Review, and is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations, New York City Cultural Affairs Commission, American History and Civics Advisory Board, and the International Institute of Strategic Studies. He formerly served on the board of governors at St. John's College and the board of overseers at the Center for Naval Analyses. He is an affiliated professor at the University of Haifa in Israel.
- Herb London, John Leo and Anne Neal of the American Council of Trustees and Alumni discuss the role of trustees in light of the recent Penn State scandal., 07-26-12
- Herb London and Howard Husock discuss the recent AEI report, "College Rankings Inflation: Are You Overpaying for Prestige?", 06-18-12
- Herb London and Howard Husock talk about tenure in universities., 05-10-12
- Herb London and Howard Husock discuss the firing of Naomi Schaefer Riley., 05-09-12
- Herb London and Howard Husock discuss the latest California Association of Scholars study on politicization of the universities., 04-12-12
- Herb London and Howard Husock discuss the controversy surrounding Rush Limbaugh's comments about Sandra Fluke and the resulting protests in Professor Steve Landsburg's classroom., 03-16-12
- Herb London and Howard Husock discuss the role of race in college admissions., 02-23-12
- Herb London and Howard Husock discuss the recent Claremont College SAT scandal., 02-23-12
- Herb London and Howard Husock discuss the important new Supreme Court case Fisher v. Texas and the role of race in college admissions., 02-23-12
- Herb London and Howard Husock discuss college athletics., 02-02-12
- More Podcasts >>