Kay S. Hymowitz is the William E. Simon Fellow at the Manhattan Institute and a contributing editor of City Journal. She writes extensively on childhood, family issues, poverty, and cultural change in America.
Hymowitz is the author of 4 books including Marriage and Caste in America: Separate and Unequal Families in a Post-Marital Age and Liberation's Children: Parents and Kids in a Postmodern Age. Her newest book, Manning Up: How the Rise of Women Has Turned Men Into Boys, was published by Basic Books in March, 2011.
Ms. Hymowitz has also written for many major publications including The New York Times, the Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, The New Republic, New York Newsday, The Public Interest, The Wilson Quarterly, and Commentary.
In addition to her writing, Hymowitz has presented her work at many conferences, most recently at "A New Era: Defining Civil Rights in the 21st Century," sponsored by the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights She sits on the board of the journal National Affairs and of Future of Children, a publication of the Brookings Institute and the Woodrow Wilson School. She has also discussed her work on numerous radio and television programs.
A native of Philadelphia, Hymowitz has degrees in English literature from Brandeis, Tufts, and Columbia University. She and her husband have three grown children and live in Brooklyn.
- NY1's "Inside City Hall"
- Sun News Network's "Charles Adler Show"
- 970 The Apple's "Curtis Sliwa Live"
- Wall Street Journal Radio's "The Daily Wrap-Up with Michael Castner"
- KXL's "Lars Larson Show"
- Wall Street Journal's "Opinion Journal Show"
- PBS's "To the Contrary"
- WABC's "John Batchelor Show"
- ABC News, "World News Now"
- NBC, The Today Show
- FOX News Channel, Fox and Friends
- C-SPAN's "Book TV"
- FOX News Channel, Fox and Friends
- FOX 5 News
[SORT BY CATEGORY] [SORT BY PUBLICATION TYPE]
- The Class Gap In Unplanned Babies, RealClearPolicy, 03-17-15
- How Should Conservatives Think About Family Leave?, National Review Online, 01-21-15
- The Fractured Working Class Family, Wall Street Journal, 01-06-15
- Street Harassment Isn’t About Sexism—It’s About Privilege, Time, 11-04-14
- Book Review: 'Breaking In' By Joan Biskupic, Wall Street Journal, 10-10-14
- Gender Gap Journalism , Institute for Family Studies, 09-11-14
- A Letter From A Confused Feminist, The Federalist, 05-28-14
- Can The Gender Gap Be Solved?, The Daily Beast, 04-22-14
- Divorce: It's Way Bigger Than We Thought, Institute for Family Studies, 03-24-14
- As Nonmarital Births Rise, Women Becoming More Likely to Plan Pregnancies, New York Daily News, 02-24-14
- Do Parents Care Enough About School?, New York Times Room for Debate, 02-09-14
- How Single Motherhood Hurts Kids, The New York Times, 02-08-14
- A Woman's (Only) Nation: What's Missing from the Shriver Report, Time, 01-17-14
- The Stubborn Facts Behind The Gender Pay Gap, Institute for Family Studies, 01-08-14
- The War On Poverty At 50, National Review Online, 01-08-14
- The Real Roots Of The Nuclear Family, Institute for Family Studies, 12-23-13
- Universal Preschool Won't Solve Inequality, Orange County Register, 11-26-13
- Why Boys Are Falling Behind, Dallas Morning News, 11-17-13
- Broken Homes, Broken Boys, Los Angeles Times, 10-31-13
- Universal Pre-K Won't Solve Vocabulary Gap (Or Inequality), Time, 10-25-13
- More Articles >>
City Journal articles
- Robert Putnams Mission, 27 March 2015
- How Smart is 50 Shades of Grey?, 17 February 2015
- Culture and Achievement, Autumn 2014
- Brooklyns Chinese Pioneers, Spring 2014
- Did Inequality Make Dasani Homeless?, Winter 2014
- The Child Is Father of the Man, 23 December 2013
- Boy Trouble, Autumn 2013
- De Blasios Inequality Dodge, 7 October 2013
- Bed-Stuys (Unfinished) Revival, Summer 2013
- Saving Welfare Reform, Special Issue 2013
- The Plight of the Alpha Female, Autumn 2012
- The Misunderstood Gender Gap, 16 November 2012
- Endangered Welfare Reform, 22 July 2012
- American Caste, Spring 2012
- Time for AIDS Activists to Get Real, 12 April 2012
- Poverty and Newt, Winter 2012
- The Empiricist, 5 March 2012
- White Blight, 25 January 2012
- How Brooklyn Got Its Groove Back, Autumn 2011
- Steve Jobs and Other Dirty Hippies, 22 November 2011
- More City Journal Articles >>
- Kay Hymowitz speaks with Stephen Eide about his new report “Poverty And Progress In New York III’ that focuses on the rise of welfare under Mayor Bill de Blasio , 03-11-15
- Matthew Hennessey and Kay Hymowitz discuss her article, Brooklyn's Chinese Pioneers, 05-04-14
- Charles Murray discusses his new book, Coming Apart: The State of White America, 1960-2010, with Kay Hymowitz, 01-30-12
- Kay Hymowitz discusses her latest article "Why the Gender Gap Won't Go Away. Ever." with Paul Beston, 07-28-11
- Kay Hymowitz discusses her article from the winter 2011 issue of City Journal, "Sarah Palin and the Battle for Feminism," with Ben Plotinsky., 01-20-11
- Benjamin Plotinsky interviews Kay Hymowitz about her latest piece "Love in the Time of Darwinism", 11-17-08
- Kay S. Hymowitz, Stefan Kanfer, and Sol Stern read their stories from City Journal's collection, 'May 1968: 40 Years Later', 05-06-08
- Brian Anderson and Kay Hymowitz Discuss 'Child-Man in the Promise Land', 01-19-08
- More Podcasts >>