Kay S. Hymowitz is the William E. Simon Fellow at the Manhattan Institute and a contributing editor of City Journal. She writes extensively on childhood, family issues, poverty, and cultural change in America.
Hymowitz is the author of 4 books including Marriage and Caste in America: Separate and Unequal Families in a Post-Marital Age and Liberation's Children: Parents and Kids in a Postmodern Age. Her newest book, Manning Up: How the Rise of Women Is Turning Men Into Boys, was published by Basic Books in March, 2011.
Ms. Hymowitz has also written for many major publications including The New York Times, the Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, The New Republic, New York Newsday, The Public Interest, The Wilson Quarterly, and Commentary.
In addition to her writing, Hymowitz has presented her work at many conferences, most recently at "A New Era: Defining Civil Rights in the 21st Century," sponsored by the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights She sits on the board of the journal National Affairs and of Future of Children, a publication of the Brookings Institute and the Woodrow Wilson School. She has also discussed her work on numerous radio and television programs.
A native of Philadelphia, Hymowitz has degrees in English literature from Brandeis, Tufts, and Columbia University. She and her husband have three grown children and live in Brooklyn.
- NY1's "Inside City Hall"
- Sun News Network's "Charles Adler Show"
- 970 The Apple's "Curtis Sliwa Live"
- Wall Street Journal Radio's "The Daily Wrap-Up with Michael Castner"
- KXL's "Lars Larson Show"
- Wall Street Journal's "Opinion Journal Show"
- PBS's "To the Contrary"
- WABC's "John Batchelor Show"
- ABC News, "World News Now"
- NBC, The Today Show
- FOX News Channel, Fox and Friends
- C-SPAN's "Book TV"
- FOX News Channel, Fox and Friends
- FOX 5 News
[SORT BY CATEGORY] [SORT BY PUBLICATION TYPE]
- Universal Preschool Won't Solve Inequality, Orange County Register, 11-26-13
- Why Boys Are Falling Behind, Dallas Morning News, 11-17-13
- Broken Homes, Broken Boys, Los Angeles Times, 10-31-13
- Universal Pre-K Won't Solve Vocabulary Gap (Or Inequality), Time, 10-25-13
- No Place Like Home, Institute for Family Studies, 10-17-13
- Longer Maternity Leave Not So Great for Women After All, Time, 09-30-13
- Do Women Really Want Equality?, Time, 09-04-13
- The Huma Craze, National Review Online, 07-25-13
- Natural Lawyer, The New York Times, 06-23-13
- Another Side Of 'Feminist Victory', Wall Street Journal Market Watch, 05-31-13
- What "Girls" Says about Relationships Today, Knot Yet, 03-28-13
- The New Unmarried Moms, Wall Street Journal, 03-17-13
- The Real, Complex Connection Between Single-Parent Families and Crime, The Atlantic, 12-03-12
- Shaming Petraeus & the 'National Adultery Ritual', Acculturated, 11-26-12
- The Original Culture Warriors, Wall Street Journal, 10-09-12
- The End of Men?, National Review Online, 10-02-12
- Four Myths About Single Mothers, Slate, 08-03-12
- The Single-Mom Catastrophe, Los Angeles Times, 06-03-12
- Call a Truce in the Mommy Wars, New York Daily News, 05-13-12
- Why Women Make Less Than Men, Wall Street Journal, 04-26-12
- More Articles >>
City Journal articles
- De Blasios Inequality Dodge, 7 October 2013
- Bed-Stuys (Unfinished) Revival, Summer 2013
- Saving Welfare Reform, Special Issue 2013
- The Plight of the Alpha Female, Autumn 2012
- The Misunderstood Gender Gap, 16 November 2012
- Endangered Welfare Reform, 22 July 2012
- American Caste, Spring 2012
- Time for AIDS Activists to Get Real, 12 April 2012
- Poverty and Newt, Winter 2012
- The Empiricist, 5 March 2012
- White Blight, 25 January 2012
- How Brooklyn Got Its Groove Back, Autumn 2011
- Steve Jobs and Other Dirty Hippies, 22 November 2011
- Why the Gender Gap Wont Go Away. Ever., Summer 2011
- Still No Sign of Superman, 28 June 2011
- Sarah Palin and the Battle for Feminism, Winter 2011
- Fragile Urban Families, Autumn 2010
- Sex-Ed Ambiguities, 4 February 2010
- Femina Sapiens in the Nursery, Autumn 2009
- Wise Guys in Cambridge, 4 December 2009
- More City Journal Articles >>
- Charles Murray discusses his new book, Coming Apart: The State of White America, 1960-2010, with Kay Hymowitz, 01-30-12
- Kay Hymowitz discusses her latest article "Why the Gender Gap Won't Go Away. Ever." with Paul Beston, 07-28-11
- Kay Hymowitz discusses her article from the winter 2011 issue of City Journal, "Sarah Palin and the Battle for Feminism," with Ben Plotinsky., 01-20-11
- Benjamin Plotinsky interviews Kay Hymowitz about her latest piece "Love in the Time of Darwinism", 11-17-08
- Kay S. Hymowitz, Stefan Kanfer, and Sol Stern read their stories from City Journal's collection, 'May 1968: 40 Years Later', 05-06-08
- Brian Anderson and Kay Hymowitz Discuss 'Child-Man in the Promise Land', 01-19-08
- More Podcasts >>