Paul Howard, Ph.D., is a Manhattan Institute senior fellow and director of the Manhattan Institute's Center for Medical Progress. He is the managing editor of Medical Progress Today, a blog providing a forum for economists, scientists, and policy experts to explore the scientific, regulatory, and market frameworks that will best support twenty-first century medical innovation.
He has written on a wide variety of medical policy issues, including FDA reform, biopharmaceutical innovation, consumer-driven health care, Medicare and Medicaid policy, and health care reform. He is often quoted on health care issues and his columns and essays have appeared in national publications, including Bloomberg View, The Wall Street Journal, National Affairs, USA Today, Real Clear Politics, New York Post, Investor's Business Daily, Health Affairs, and FoxNews.com.
He is also a member of the Manhattan Institute's Project FDA, a committee of physician-scientists, economists, medical ethicists, and policy experts. Their purpose is to show how twenty-first-century technologies can help better inform FDA regulations and accelerate the drug-development and drug-approval process while maintaining drug safety.
In 2012, Howard served on the Health Care Policy Advisory Group for the presidential campaign of former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney. He has also testified twice before Congress.
Howard joined the Manhattan Institute in 2000, working as deputy director of the Center for Legal Policy where he edited research papers, managed legal policy analyses, and organized conferences.
Howard received his Ph.D. in political science from Fordham University in 2003, and is a graduate of the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts.
- PBS Newshour
- Fox Business Network's "Money with Melissa Francis"
- Fox Business Network's "Willis Report"
- WNBC's "News at 6"
- Fox Business Network's "Bulls and Bears"
- WABC's "John Batchelor Show"
- KXL's "Lars Larson Show"
- KKFT's "Sean Patrick Live"
- KFBK's "Morning News"
- WBAL's "Ron Smith Show"
- WIBA's "Upfront with Vicki McKenna"
- SBA's "Small Business Advocate"
[SORT BY CATEGORY] [SORT BY PUBLICATION TYPE]
- Re: Should We Ban Thanksgiving?, Politico, 11-27-13
- Exploding Medicaid Bills Will Threaten Budgets and Health, New York Daily News, 11-24-13
- A Conservative Cure For Obamacare, Bloomberg, 11-18-13
- Maine's Dangerous Drug Scheme, Forbes.com, 10-29-13
- Exchanges Everywhere, Not A Plan To Buy, Forbes.com, 10-01-13
- ObamaCare Will Force Same Cost Hikes NYers Now Face, New York Post, 09-29-13
- How to Cut Through the Spin About Obamacare Premiums, FoxNews.com, 09-27-13
- Obamacare Is Killing Traditional Employer-Sponsored Health Insurance, Forbes.com, 09-23-13
- The Biopharmaceutical Pipeline, PhRMA, 09-18-13
- Obamacare's Worst Feature? It's Wedded To 50-Year-Old Assumptions, Forbes.com, 09-09-13
- Can We Build A Kickstarter For Cancer?, Forbes.com, 08-01-13
- Get Obamacare, While Supplies Last, USA Today, 07-12-13
- Obamacare Will Worsen the Physician Shortage, RealClearPolicy, 06-27-13
- Escaping ObamaCare: Silver Helps Some New Yorkers, New York Post, 06-12-13
- Get FDA Off the Slow Track, Washington Examiner, 05-17-13
- Obamacare Forecast: We All Pay More, National Review Online, 04-18-13
- An Unhealthy Advantage For Generic Medicines, Washington Times, 04-09-13
- Rhetoric and Reality On the Anniversary of Obamacare, Washington Examiner, 03-22-13
- Health Care Reform 2.0, RealClearPolicy, 03-20-13
- ObamaCare Turns Three -- A Checkup On the Rhetoric vs. the Reality, FoxNews.com, 03-20-13
- More Articles >>
- Rhetoric and RealityThe Obamacare Evaluation Project: Access to Care and the Physician Shortage Medical Progress Report 15, June 2013
- Rhetoric and RealityThe Obamacare Evaluation Project: Cost Medical Progress Report 14, March 2013
- Off-Label, Not Off-Limits: The Fda Needs To Create a Safe Harbor For Off-Label Drug Use Issue Brief 15, December 2012
- How Block Grants Can Make Medicaid Work: Improving Health, Decreasing Costs Issues 2012 24, September 2012
- Building a Market-Based Health-Insurance Exchange in New York Medical Progress Report 13, April 2011
- Easy Access, Quality Care: The Role for Retail Health Clinics in New York Medical Progress Report 12, February 2011
- In the Wake of Wyeth v. Levine: Making the Case for FDA Preemption and Administrative Compensation Project FDA Report 1, March 2009
City Journal articles
- Republicans and the Budget, 8 May 2013
- Health Care, Unsolved, 27 February 2013
- A Medicaid Dilemma, 28 June 2012
- An FDA That Works for Children, 7 May 2012
- A Somber Anniversary, 27 March 2012
- Liberating Medicines New Frontier, Autumn 2011
- A Medicaid Rebellion?, Winter 2011
- The Whooping Coughs Unnecessary Return, 2 February 2011
- Lost Opportunity, 3 August 2010
- Obamacares Hidden Costs, 13 May 2010
- Obamacare, the Day After, 24 March 2010
- Health Care and Hubris, 22 February 2010
- The Union Rules, 19 January 2010
- Hello Health, Goodbye Hassle, 12 January 2010
- Bending the Health-Care Cost CurveUpward, 18 November 2009
- Its the System, 3 September 2009
- The Medicaid Monster, 2 August 2009
- The Reaper Is Cheaper, 21 July 2009
- GPS for Health Care, 15 April 2009
- $100 Billion of Bad Medicine, 4 February 2009
- More City Journal Articles >>
- Richard Epstein and Paul Howard discuss the findings from Richard's new report, "The FDA's Misguided Regulation of Stem-Cell Procedures" and how administrative overreach is blocking medical innovation, 09-23-13
- Paul Howard and Rita Numerof, Presdient of Numerof and Associates, discuss Big Data in healthcare, 07-16-13
- Paul Howard and Newt Crenshaw, Vice President of Policy, Pricing, Reimbursement and Access and International Corporate Affairs at Eli Lilly and Company, discuss trends in oncology innovation., 05-28-13
- Paul Howard and Luke Timmerman, an award-winning journalist at Xconomy, discuss the challenges faced by the biotech industry in utilizing big data's potential to revolutionize healthcare., 05-03-13
- Paul Howard and Chris Conover discuss his new book, "American Health Economy Illustrated" - which Paul describes as the "single best fact book on Healthcare.", 03-29-13
- Paul Howard discusses research showing that limits on pharmaceutical companies communications with doctors can have unintended consequences for physicians' practice patterns and patients., 01-23-13
- Paul Howard and Luke Timmerman discuss the decline in early stage financing for start-up biotech companies, implications for the pharmaceutical industry, and the future of innovation in life sciences., 12-13-12
- Paul Howard and James Capretta, Senior Fellow at the Ethics and Public Policy Center, discuss the future of healthcare policy after the election and the implementation of Obamacare, 11-30-12
- Paul Howard interviews Jeffrey Kasher about Lilly's involvement in TransCelerate BioPharma, an industry-wide collaboration that is aimed at developing shared research solutions to accelerate the deliv, 10-08-12
- Paul Howard, with economist Douglas Holtz-Eakin, counters comments made by Vice President Biden by discussing how the territorial tax system could actually help save American jobs, 09-14-12
- Paul Howard interviews Josh Bloom, director, chemical and pharmaceutical sciences, American Council on Health and Science, about his MedicalProgressToday.com article, "Qsymia is Not Fen-Phen.", 07-25-12
- Paul Howard interviews Joshua Archambault of the Pioneer Institute and contributor to the Pioneer Institute's new book, The Great Experiment: The States, The Feds and Your HealthCare., 06-21-12
- Paul Howard interviews James Capretta about the potential outcomes of the Supreme Court decision on the constitutionality of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act., 06-15-12
- Paul Howard interviews James Capretta, about the potential outcomes of the Supreme Court decision on the constitutionality of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act., 06-15-12
- Paul Howard and Avik Roy discuss findings from the American Society of Clinical Oncology conference and what is driving cancer innovation forward., 06-07-12
- Paul Howard and Avik Roy discuss Roy's latest Issues 2012 report, "The Medicaid Mess: How Obamacare Makes it Worse.", 04-10-12
- Paul Howard and Alex Tabarrok discuss the recent surge in drug shortages and what the U.S. can do to bring more drugs to market, 04-04-12
- Paul Howard and James Capretta discuss entitlements and the present state of U.S. health care amid the Supreme Court hearing oral arguments against PPACA's individual mandate., 03-29-12
- Paul Howard interviews new Project FDA chairman, Dr. von Eschenbach about his Wall Street Journal op-ed, “Medical Innovation: How the U.S. Can Retain Its Lead.”, 02-23-12
- Paul Howard and Dr. Agus discuss his book, "The End of Illness," and strategies to maintaining lifelong health., 02-10-12
- More Podcasts >>
- Medical Progress Today
- Horatio Joe, National Review Online, 11-30-09
- $2.4 Trillion for House Health Bill, National Review Online, 11-04-09
- The Game Remains the Same, National Review Online, 09-10-09
- Health v. Health Care, National Review Online, 08-11-09
- No Pot of Gold for Obamacare, National Review Online, 08-10-09
- Legislate in Haste, Repent at Leisure, National Review Online, 07-24-09