Paul Howard, Ph.D., is a Manhattan Institute senior fellow and director of the Manhattan Institute's Center for Medical Progress. He is the managing editor of Medical Progress Today, a blog providing a forum for economists, scientists, and policy experts to explore the scientific, regulatory, and market frameworks that will best support twenty-first century medical innovation.
He has written on a wide variety of medical policy issues, including FDA reform, biopharmaceutical innovation, consumer-driven health care, Medicare and Medicaid policy, and health care reform. He is often quoted on health care issues and his columns and essays have appeared in national publications, including Bloomberg View, The Wall Street Journal, National Affairs, USA Today, Real Clear Politics, New York Post, Investor's Business Daily, Health Affairs, and FoxNews.com.
He is also a member of the Manhattan Institute's Project FDA, a committee of physician-scientists, economists, medical ethicists, and policy experts. Their purpose is to show how twenty-first-century technologies can help better inform FDA regulations and accelerate the drug-development and drug-approval process while maintaining drug safety.
In 2012, Howard served on the Health Care Policy Advisory Group for the presidential campaign of former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney. He has also testified twice before Congress.
Howard joined the Manhattan Institute in 2000, working as deputy director of the Center for Legal Policy where he edited research papers, managed legal policy analyses, and organized conferences.
Howard received his Ph.D. in political science from Fordham University in 2003, and is a graduate of the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts.
- PBS Newshour
- Fox Business Network's "Money with Melissa Francis"
- Fox Business Network's "Willis Report"
- WNBC's "News at 6"
- Fox Business Network's "Bulls and Bears"
- WABC's "John Batchelor Show"
- KXL's "Lars Larson Show"
- KKFT's "Sean Patrick Live"
- KFBK's "Morning News"
- WBAL's "Ron Smith Show"
- WIBA's "Upfront with Vicki McKenna"
- SBA's "Small Business Advocate"
[SORT BY CATEGORY] [SORT BY PUBLICATION TYPE]
- Get FDA Off the Slow Track, Washington Examiner, 05-17-13
- Obamacare Forecast: We All Pay More, National Review Online, 04-18-13
- An Unhealthy Advantage For Generic Medicines, Washington Times, 04-09-13
- Rhetoric and Reality On the Anniversary of Obamacare, Washington Examiner, 03-22-13
- ObamaCare Turns Three -- A Checkup On the Rhetoric vs. the Reality, FoxNews.com, 03-20-13
- Health Care Reform 2.0, RealClearPolicy, 03-20-13
- A Model Medicare Program, Bloomberg, 03-13-13
- Tear Down the Medicaid Wall , National Review Online, 02-20-13
- Obamacare Starts In 2013, As Should Plans To Reform It , Forbes.com, 02-05-13
- President Obama's Bait and Switch, Washington Examiner, 01-25-13
- Why Does FDA Keep Drugmakers From Informing Doctors?, Investor's Business Daily, 01-09-13
- Pushing Antibiotics off of Their Own 'Fiscal Cliff, Washington Examiner, 12-07-12
- Potential ObamaCare Privacy Nightmare, USA Today, 12-07-12
- Pushing antibiotics off of their own 'fiscal cliff , Washington Examiner, 12-06-12
- ObamaCare Faces the Implementation Iceberg, RealClearPolitics, 11-26-12
- What Election 2012 Means for America: Three Manhattan Institute Scholars Weigh In On the Next Four Years, Washington Examiner, 11-09-12
- Romney vs. Obama, Round 2, National Review Online, 10-16-12
- Obama and Biden Will Turn Medicare into Medicaid, Washington Examiner, 10-15-12
- Medicaid Is BrokenLet the States Fix It, Wall Street Journal, 10-11-12
- Olive Garden Serves Up Better Menu of Health Insurance Options, FoxNews.com, 10-09-12
- More Articles >>
City Journal articles
- Republicans and the Budget, 8 May 2013
- Health Care, Unsolved, 27 February 2013
- A Medicaid Dilemma, 28 June 2012
- An FDA That Works for Children, 7 May 2012
- A Somber Anniversary, 27 March 2012
- Liberating Medicines New Frontier, Autumn 2011
- A Medicaid Rebellion?, Winter 2011
- The Whooping Coughs Unnecessary Return, 2 February 2011
- Lost Opportunity, 3 August 2010
- Obamacares Hidden Costs, 13 May 2010
- Obamacare, the Day After, 24 March 2010
- Health Care and Hubris, 22 February 2010
- The Union Rules, 19 January 2010
- Hello Health, Goodbye Hassle, 12 January 2010
- Bending the Health-Care Cost CurveUpward, 18 November 2009
- Its the System, 3 September 2009
- The Medicaid Monster, 2 August 2009
- The Reaper Is Cheaper, 21 July 2009
- GPS for Health Care, 15 April 2009
- $100 Billion of Bad Medicine, 4 February 2009
- More City Journal Articles >>
- Paul Howard and Luke Timmerman, an award-winning journalist at Xconomy, discuss the challenges faced by the biotech industry in utilizing big data's potential to revolutionize healthcare., 05-03-13
- Paul Howard and Chris Conover discuss his new book, "American Health Economy Illustrated" � which Paul describes as the "single best fact book on Healthcare.", 03-29-13
- Paul Howard discusses research showing that limits on pharmaceutical companies communications with doctors can have unintended consequences for physicians' practice patterns and patients., 01-23-13
- Paul Howard and Luke Timmerman discuss the decline in early stage financing for start-up biotech companies, implications for the pharmaceutical industry, and the future of innovation in life sciences., 12-13-12
- Paul Howard and James Capretta, Senior Fellow at the Ethics and Public Policy Center, discuss the future of healthcare policy after the election and the implementation of Obamacare, 11-30-12
- Paul Howard interviews Jeffrey Kasher about Lilly's involvement in TransCelerate BioPharma, an industry-wide collaboration that is aimed at developing shared research solutions to accelerate the deliv, 10-08-12
- Paul Howard, with economist Douglas Holtz-Eakin, counters comments made by Vice President Biden by discussing how the territorial tax system could actually help save American jobs, 09-14-12
- Paul Howard interviews Josh Bloom, director, chemical and pharmaceutical sciences, American Council on Health and Science, about his MedicalProgressToday.com article, "Qsymia is Not Fen-Phen.", 07-25-12
- Paul Howard interviews Joshua Archambault of the Pioneer Institute and contributor to the Pioneer Institute's new book, The Great Experiment: The States, The Feds and Your HealthCare., 06-21-12
- Paul Howard interviews James Capretta about the potential outcomes of the Supreme Court decision on the constitutionality of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act., 06-15-12
- Paul Howard interviews James Capretta, about the potential outcomes of the Supreme Court decision on the constitutionality of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act., 06-15-12
- Paul Howard and Avik Roy discuss findings from the American Society of Clinical Oncology conference and what is driving cancer innovation forward., 06-07-12
- Paul Howard and Avik Roy discuss Roy's latest Issues 2012 report, "The Medicaid Mess: How Obamacare Makes it Worse.", 04-10-12
- Paul Howard and Alex Tabarrok discuss the recent surge in drug shortages and what the U.S. can do to bring more drugs to market, 04-04-12
- Paul Howard and James Capretta discuss entitlements and the present state of U.S. health care amid the Supreme Court hearing oral arguments against PPACA's individual mandate., 03-29-12
- Paul Howard interviews new Project FDA chairman, Dr. von Eschenbach about his Wall Street Journal op-ed, “Medical Innovation: How the U.S. Can Retain Its Lead.”, 02-23-12
- Paul Howard and Dr. Agus discuss his book, "The End of Illness," and strategies to maintaining lifelong health., 02-10-12
- Flagg Taylor, assistant professor of government at Skidmore College, discusses the life and career of Vaclav Havel with Paul Howard., 02-02-12
- Herb London and Howard Husock discuss college athletics., 02-02-12
- Paul Howard interviews Alex Tabarrok about his new book, Launching The Innovation Renaissance: A New Path to Bring Smart Ideas to Market Fast., 01-27-12
- More Podcasts >>
- Medical Progress Today
- Horatio Joe, National Review Online, 11-30-09
- $2.4 Trillion for House Health Bill, National Review Online, 11-04-09
- The Game Remains the Same, National Review Online, 09-10-09
- Health v. Health Care, National Review Online, 08-11-09
- No Pot of Gold for Obamacare, National Review Online, 08-10-09
- Legislate in Haste, Repent at Leisure, National Review Online, 07-24-09