Stephanie Hessler is an adjunct fellow at the Manhattan Institute. She writes frequently on constitutional law, national security law, counter terrorism law, and judicial nominations. Her work has been featured in numerous publications, including The Weekly Standard, The Washington Times, the Washington Examiner, City Journal, National Review Online, and Townhall.com. She is a frequent guest on the FOX News Strategy Room, and national and local radio programs. She has also testified before the Unites States Congress on counterterrorism policy.
Prior to joining the Manhattan Institute, Hessler served as a constitutional lawyer for the Senate Judiciary Committee. She drafted and negotiated legislation and advised on a wide range of topics including terrorist surveillance, domestic wiretapping, Guantanamo detainees, habeas corpus, presidential signing statements, abortion, voting rights, and eminent domain. She also served on the legal team that counseled on the nomination of Justice Samuel Alito to the Supreme Court.
Before joining the staff of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Hessler practiced international arbitration at a private law firm in New York City. After graduating from law school, Hessler clerked for Chief Judge Boyce F. Martin, Jr. of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Hessler received her B.A. in English literature from Kenyon College and her J.D. from New York University School of Law. She lives in New York City with her husband and their three children.
[SORT BY CATEGORY] [SORT BY PUBLICATION TYPE]
- Obama v. the Constitution, Townhall.com, 06-15-12
- Presidential Power To Kill?, Washington Times, 03-16-12
- Expressly Illegal 'Appointment' Violates Obama's Oath, Washington Examiner, 01-11-12
- What Have We Learned?, National Review Online, 09-10-11
- Obama's Unhostile War, Townhall.com, 06-25-11
- A Few Bad Men: Who Should Be Held?, Washington Times, 03-31-11
- Obama's Next Justice, National Review Online, 04-10-10
- Obama's Unilateral Disarmament, Townhall.com, 02-02-10
- Leave It to the Generals, National Review Online, 11-18-09
- Trying Terrorists in U.S. is a Bad Idea, Washington Examiner, 10-21-09
- A Real Problem for Obama, The Weekly Standard, 06-02-09
- The "Other Gitmo", The Weekly Standard, 03-06-09
- What to Do About the Gitmo Detainees, The Weekly Standard, 02-02-09
City Journal articles