Edward Glaeser is a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute, contributing editor of City Journal, a contributor to The New York Times' Economix blog, and the Fred and Eleanor Glimp Professor of Economics at Harvard University, where he has taught since 1992. He is director of the Taubman Center for State and Local Government and director of the Rappaport Institute of Greater Boston.
Glaeser teaches urban and social economics and microeconomic theory. He has published dozens of papers on cities, economic growth, and law and economics. In particular, his work has focused on the determinants of city growth and the role of cities as centers of idea transmission. Glaeser also edits the Quarterly Journal of Economics. His book, Triumph of the City: How Our Greatest Invention Makes Us Richer, Smarter, Greener, Healthier, and Happier, (The Penguin Press, 2011) was published in 2011.
He received his Ph.D. from the University of Chicago in 1992.
- Comedy Central's "Daily Show with Jon Stewart"
- Fox News's "Your World with Neil Cavuto"
- CNBC's "Squawk Box"
- Fox News's "Happening Now"
- NY1's "Inside City Hall"
- C-SPAN 's "Book TV"
- NPR's "Weekend Edition"
- WPR (NPR)'s "The Joy Cardin Show"
- Coast to Coast Voice of America
- Bloomberg Radio's "The Hays Advantage"
[SORT BY CATEGORY] [SORT BY PUBLICATION TYPE]
- 'Mass Flourishing' by Edmund Phelps, Wall Street Journal, 10-18-13
- A Happy Tale Of Two Cities, New York Daily News, 10-14-13
- Make New York A Small Biz Mecca, New York Daily News, 06-19-13
- Cities Like Boston Show Resolve After Attacks, Bloomberg, 04-16-13
- Princeton's Marriage Market Theory Worked for Me, Bloomberg, 04-03-13
- Big-Project Binge Fueled Motor City's Meltdown, Bloomberg, 03-20-13
- Don't Take Ed Koch's Centrist Legacy for Granted, Bloomberg, 02-04-13
- Paint The Town: Republicans Need Urban Voters and Cities Need the GOP, New York Post, 01-27-13
- 2013 Is the Year to Go to Work, Not Go on Disability, Bloomberg, 12-26-12
- Why N.Y.C. Must Scrape the Sky, New York Daily News, 04-22-12
- Wall Street Can’t Carry the City Alone, New York Post, 04-12-12
- Desegregation Is an Unsung U.S. Success Story, Bloomberg, 01-30-12
- How to Make States' Public Pension Funds Solvent, Bloomberg, 07-05-11
- The Role of Economics in an Imperfect World, New York Times Economix Blog, 05-10-11
- New Land Of Opportunity, Forbes.com, 05-09-11
- What Rankings Show About Cities, New York Times Economix Blog, 05-03-11
- Give Power To Cities, States, The Boston Globe, 04-21-11
- Detroit's Decline and The Folly of Light Rail, Wall Street Journal, 03-25-11
- If The Tea Party Went Downtown, New York Times Economix Blog, 03-15-11
- Back Off From Our Housing Choices, The Boston Globe, 03-10-11
- Our Best Plan For Growth Is To Set Our Cities Free, Financial Times, 03-07-11
- Not a Carbon Copy of the U.S., Los Angeles Times, 02-28-11
- City Air Still Makes You Free, The Boston Globe, 02-24-11
- Can Detroit Find the Road Forward?, The New York Times, 02-22-11
- Assessing the Daley Legacy in Chicago, The New York Times, 02-08-11
- How Skyscrapers Can Save the City, The Atlantic, 02-08-11
- Why NYC (still) Rocks, New York Post, 02-06-11
- If We Build It, They Will Come, The Boston Globe, 01-23-11
- Entrepreneurs Key to New York's Future, RealClearPolitics, 11-12-10
- What Would High-Speed Rail Do to Suburban Sprawl?, The New York Times, 08-18-09
- The Reinventive City, Forbes.com, 07-13-09
- The Problem With Bailouts, The Boston Globe, 06-05-09
- Housing Resists a Turnaround, RealClearMarkets, 03-31-09
- Help the environment, stay in the city, Washington Examiner, 02-11-09
- The GOP Has a Dumb Mortgage Idea, Wall Street Journal, 02-05-09
- The Mill Towns Round Our Neck, Prospect Magazine, 08-28-08
- The Way We Gentrify Now: Derek Hyra's 'New Urban Renewal', The New York Sun, 08-27-08
- Houston, New York Has a Problem, The New York Sun, 07-16-08
- The Life Of the City, The New York Sun, 05-14-08
- Invest in Human Capital, Not in Building Projects, Buffalo News, 04-18-08
- The Age of Abundance, The New York Sun, 03-26-08
- Make Mine McCain, The New York Sun, 01-28-08
- The Case for McCain, The New York Sun, 01-28-08
- Why I Write, The New York Sun, 10-26-07
- Can Buffalo Ever Come Back?, The New York Sun, 10-19-07
- The World According to Paul Krugman, The New York Sun, 10-10-07
- The Wealth Of One Nation, The New York Sun, 09-19-07
- Vilifying Lenders, The New York Sun, 09-18-07
- How To Recover, The New York Sun, 09-04-07
- Latest Sign Of City's Comeback, The New York Sun, 08-21-07
- Where Edwards Is Right, The New York Sun, 08-07-07
- Better a Murdoch ..., The New York Sun, 07-24-07
- Risk Worth Taking, The New York Sun, 07-10-07
- Come One, Come All, The New York Sun, 06-26-07
- The End of the New Deal, The New York Sun, 06-13-07
- Upward Trajectory, The New York Sun, 06-12-07
- Fight for Housing, The New York Sun, 05-09-07
- In the City, Inequality Rules, The New York Sun, 03-03-07
- The Modernism That Failed?, The New York Sun, 02-28-07
- The Greenness of Cities, The New York Sun, 01-30-07
- Teddy Kollek, City Builder, The New York Sun, 01-04-07
- A Breathtaking Vision For the Future of the City, The New York Sun, 12-13-06
- Bonfire of the Landmarks, The New York Sun, 11-29-06
- Friedman's Work in New York, The New York Sun, 11-20-06
- My Father, the Architect, The New York Sun, 10-31-06
- Endless Apartments, The New York Sun, 10-24-06
- Improving Brooklyn?, The New York Sun, 09-08-06
- City, Thank Your Immigrants, The New York Sun, 09-05-06
- Endless Land Debacle, The New York Sun, 08-16-06
- Schools For Cities, The New York Sun, 08-15-06
City Journal articles
- Growth Engines, Special Issue 2013
- The GOP and the City, Winter 2013
- Wall Street Isnt Enough, Spring 2012
- Unleash the Entrepreneurs, Autumn 2011
- Start-Up City, Autumn 2010
- Preservation Follies, Spring 2010
- The Reinventive City, 13 July 2009
- Green Cities, Brown Suburbs, Winter 2009
- New York Needs Innovation, 27 October 2008
- Houston, New York Has a Problem, Summer 2008
- Can Buffalo Ever Come Back?, Autumn 2007
- Why Economists Still Like Cities, Spring 1996