Edward Glaeser is a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute, contributing editor of City Journal, a contributor to The New York Times' Economix blog, and the Fred and Eleanor Glimp Professor of Economics at Harvard University, where he has taught since 1992. He is director of the Taubman Center for State and Local Government and director of the Rappaport Institute of Greater Boston.
Glaeser teaches urban and social economics and microeconomic theory. He has published dozens of papers on cities, economic growth, and law and economics. In particular, his work has focused on the determinants of city growth and the role of cities as centers of idea transmission. Glaeser also edits the Quarterly Journal of Economics. His book, Triumph of the City: How Our Greatest Invention Makes Us Richer, Smarter, Greener, Healthier, and Happier, (The Penguin Press, 2011) was published in 2011.
He received his Ph.D. from the University of Chicago in 1992.
- Comedy Central's "Daily Show with Jon Stewart"
- Fox News's "Your World with Neil Cavuto"
- CNBC's "Squawk Box"
- Fox News's "Happening Now"
- NY1's "Inside City Hall"
- C-SPAN 's "Book TV"
- NPR's "Weekend Edition"
- WPR (NPR)'s "The Joy Cardin Show"
- Coast to Coast Voice of America
- Bloomberg Radio's "The Hays Advantage"
[SORT BY CATEGORY] [SORT BY PUBLICATION TYPE]
- 'Mass Flourishing' by Edmund Phelps, Wall Street Journal, 10-18-13
- A Happy Tale Of Two Cities, New York Daily News, 10-14-13
- Make New York A Small Biz Mecca, New York Daily News, 06-19-13
- Cities Like Boston Show Resolve After Attacks, Bloomberg, 04-16-13
- Princeton's Marriage Market Theory Worked for Me, Bloomberg, 04-03-13
- Big-Project Binge Fueled Motor City's Meltdown, Bloomberg, 03-20-13
- Don't Take Ed Koch's Centrist Legacy for Granted, Bloomberg, 02-04-13
- Paint The Town: Republicans Need Urban Voters and Cities Need the GOP, New York Post, 01-27-13
- 2013 Is the Year to Go to Work, Not Go on Disability, Bloomberg, 12-26-12
- Why N.Y.C. Must Scrape the Sky, New York Daily News, 04-22-12
- Wall Street Can’t Carry the City Alone, New York Post, 04-12-12
- Desegregation Is an Unsung U.S. Success Story, Bloomberg, 01-30-12
- How to Make States' Public Pension Funds Solvent, Bloomberg, 07-05-11
- The Role of Economics in an Imperfect World, New York Times Economix Blog, 05-10-11
- New Land Of Opportunity, Forbes.com, 05-09-11
- What Rankings Show About Cities, New York Times Economix Blog, 05-03-11
- Give Power To Cities, States, The Boston Globe, 04-21-11
- Detroit's Decline and The Folly of Light Rail, Wall Street Journal, 03-25-11
- If The Tea Party Went Downtown, New York Times Economix Blog, 03-15-11
- Back Off From Our Housing Choices, The Boston Globe, 03-10-11
- More Articles >>
City Journal articles
- Growth Engines, Special Issue 2013
- The GOP and the City, Winter 2013
- Wall Street Isnt Enough, Spring 2012
- Unleash the Entrepreneurs, Autumn 2011
- Start-Up City, Autumn 2010
- Preservation Follies, Spring 2010
- The Reinventive City, Special Issue 2009
- Green Cities, Brown Suburbs, Winter 2009
- New York Needs Innovation, 27 October 2008
- Houston, New York Has a Problem, Summer 2008
- Can Buffalo Ever Come Back?, Autumn 2007
- Why Economists Still Like Cities, Spring 1996
- More City Journal Articles >>