Nicole Gelinas is the Searle Freedom Trust Fellow at the Manhattan Institute and a contributing editor of City Journal. Gelinas writes on urban economics and finance, municipal and corporate finance, and business issues. She is a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) charterholder and a member of the New York Society of Securities Analysts. Her most recent book, After the Fall: Saving Capitalism from Wall Streetâ€”and Washington was published on November 2009 by Encounter Books.
Gelinas has published analysis and opinion pieces on the op-ed pages of The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, the Los Angeles Times, the San Diego Union Tribune, the New York Sun, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, the Dallas Morning News, the New Orleans Times-Picayune, and the Boston Herald. She has also written for Crain's New York Business and National Review Online.
Before coming to City Journal, Gelinas was a business journalist for Thomson Financial in New York, where she covered the international syndicated-loan and private-debt markets. She also wrote a regular op-ed column for the New York Post.
Gelinas graduated from the Newcomb College of Tulane University with a B.A. in English literature. She and her husband live in Manhattan.
BUY THE BOOK:
- CNBC's "Street Signs"
- NY1's "Inside City Hall" with Errol Louis
- FOX 5 New York
- CBS 2 New York
- Bloomberg TV's "Street Smart" with Trish Regan
- NPR New York’s "Brian Lehrer Show"
- 710 AM WOR's "The John Gambling Show”
- WNET’s “MetroFocus with Rafael Pi Roman”
- 970 AM’s “The Curtis Sliwa Show”
- 77 WABC’s “The John Batchelor Show”
- 710 AM WOR’s “The John and Ken Show”
- Newsmax TV’s “The Steve Malzberg Show”
- BBC Radio's "5 Live Breakfast"
- Talk Radio Network's "Jerry Doyle Show"
- Small Business Advocate Network's "The Jim Blasingame Show"
- WSTC/WNLK Radio's "The Peter Schiff Show"
- Talk Radio Network's "America's Morning News"
- PJTV's "The Conversation with Tony Katz"
[SORT BY CATEGORY] [SORT BY PUBLICATION TYPE]
- MTA To Riders: Go To Hell-IRR, New York Post, 07-18-14
- Can The G.O.P. Be A Party Of Ideas?, The New York Times, 07-18-14
- LIRR Strike Threat: Cuomo Set To Cave?, New York Post, 07-14-14
- From 'Bell Jar' To 'Friendship'- NYC In Three Novels Over 50 Years, New York Post, 07-07-14
- Let Them Strike! Cuomo's Last Chance To Be Reagan, New York Post, 06-30-14
- Airbnb, Uber & NYC, New York Post, 06-23-14
- What Stockholm Can Teach L.A. About Reducing Traffic Fatalities, Los Angeles Times, 06-22-14
- Brat's Win Teaches The GOP Lessons, New York Post, 06-16-14
- De Blasio's Fiscal Bubble, City & State, 06-09-14
- Millionaires On Strike? The Unfair Demands Of LIRR Unions, New York Post, 06-09-14
- Absorbing 9/11: The Public And The Memorial Plaza, New York Post, 06-02-14
- Gentrifying 'Rent': 'If/Then' Backs Bloombergism, New York Post, 05-26-14
- Taking New York Back To The Bad Old Days, Wall Street Journal, 05-21-14
- Key Questions de Blasio Won't Answer, New York Post, 05-19-14
- Bill's Cooked Books, New York Post, 05-12-14
- Attack The Motive, New York Times Room for Debate, 05-11-14
- Bill De Blasio's Risky 'Boogie Nights' Budgeting, New York Post, 05-08-14
- Lessons From A Transit Savior, Capital New York, 05-08-14
- MTA Could Learn From London's Underground Lessons, New York Post, 05-05-14
- Stringer Misses The 'Supply' Part Of Why Rents Are So High, New York Post, 04-23-14
- More Articles >>
- Matthew Hennessey and Nicole Gelinas discuss her recent article, " New York's Next Public Safety Revolution "., 05-19-14
- Matthew Hennessey, associate editor of City Journal, interviews Nicole Gelinas on what to expect from tomorrow's confirmation hearing for Federal Reserve Chair., 11-13-13
- Steve Eide and Nicole Gelinas discuss the Detroit bankruptcy, and its possible implications for other American cities., 07-19-13
- Nicole Gelinas discusses her recent Winter 2013 City Journal piece, "New York's Sandy Scorecard." , 01-31-13
- Nicole Gelinas discusses her article "The Port Authority's Cloudy Future" with Ben Plotinsky, 11-25-12
- Nicole Gelinas discusses her City Journal article, "Dodd-Frank's Protection Racket.", 07-25-12
- E21's Chris Papagianis talks with Nicole Gelinas about her article "Presidential Candidates Should Get Real On Mortgages", 06-23-11
- Nicole Gelinas discusses her article from the winter 2011 issue of City Journal, "Twenty-First-Century Reaganomics", with Brian Anderson., 01-14-11
- Nicole Gelinas and Nouriel Roubini discuss his book, Crisis Economics: A Crash Course in the Future of Finance, and what lead to the financial crisis, 07-20-10
- Nicole Gelinas and Roger Lowenstein discuss his book and what lead to the financial crisis, 07-16-10
- Nicole Gelinas and Philip Augar, former British banker and author of Reckless: The Rise and Fall of the City, discuss his book and what lead to the financial crisis, 07-14-10
- E.J. McMahon, director of the Manhattan Institute's Empire Center discusses MTA salaries with Nicole Gelinas, a contributing editor of City Journal, 06-11-10
- Nicole Gelinas and Brian Anderson Discusses Her New Book, 12-01-09
- Brian Anderson and Nicole Gelinas discuss her article "Transit for Tomorrow"., 07-08-09
- Nicole Gelinas reads her article 'Stimulating Some Thinking', 02-03-09
- Nicole Gelinas reads her article 'Mike's Doomsday Budget? If Only', 02-03-09
- Nicole Gelinas reads her article 'The President's First Roadblock', 01-28-09
- Nicole Gelinas discusses her article 'Can the Feds Uncrunch Credit?', 01-22-09
- Nicole Gelinas reads her article 'Detroit: The Abyss Awaiting NYC?', 01-15-09
- Nicole Gelinas discusses her article and the MTA's financial crisis with Paul Beston, 12-05-08
- More Podcasts >>
City Journal articles
- Progressive Impatience, 18 July 2014
- New Yorks Next Public Safety Revolution, Spring 2014
- Could Drive You to Drink, Spring 2014
- Choosing Citi Bike, 18 April 2014
- Too Soon for Answers in Harlem, 14 March 2014
- West Side Story, Winter 2014
- A Tale of Two Speeches, 10 February 2014
- Jaywalk This Way, 24 January 2014
- Safe Streets Now, Winter 2014
- De Blasios French Lessons, 7 January 2014
- System Failure, 3 December 2013
- Too Convoluted to Succeed, Autumn 2013
- Saudi Bike, 8 November 2013
- Meet the New Boss, 6 November 2013
- Enter Stage Left, 17 October 2013
- Citi Bike and the City, 6 September 2013
- How to Avoid Fiscal Derailment, Special Issue 2013
- What to Do When Youre Broke, Summer 2013
- What New York Should Learn from Detroit, 23 July 2013
- Adrift in Albany, 9 July 2013
- More City Journal Articles >>