Nicole Gelinas is the Searle Freedom Trust Fellow at the Manhattan Institute and a contributing editor of City Journal. Gelinas writes on urban economics and finance, municipal and corporate finance, and business issues. She is a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) charterholder and a member of the New York Society of Securities Analysts. Her most recent book, After the Fall: Saving Capitalism from Wall Streetâ€”and Washington was published on November 2009 by Encounter Books.
Gelinas has published analysis and opinion pieces on the op-ed pages of The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, the Los Angeles Times, the San Diego Union Tribune, the New York Sun, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, the Dallas Morning News, the New Orleans Times-Picayune, and the Boston Herald. She has also written for Crain's New York Business and National Review Online.
Before coming to City Journal, Gelinas was a business journalist for Thomson Financial in New York, where she covered the international syndicated-loan and private-debt markets. She also wrote a regular op-ed column for the New York Post.
Gelinas graduated from the Newcomb College of Tulane University with a B.A. in English literature. She and her husband live in Manhattan.
BUY THE BOOK:
- CNBC's "Street Signs"
- NY1's "Inside City Hall"
- PJTV's "The Conversation with Tony Katz"
- FOX5-NY's "News at 6pm"
- Bloomberg TV's "Street Smart"
- BBC Radio's "5 Live Breakfast"
- Talk Radio Network's "Jerry Doyle Show"
- WABC's "Curtis Sliwa Live"
- WNYC's "Brian Lehrer Show"
- WOR's "Gov. Paterson Show"
- Small Business Advocate Network's "The Jim Blasingame Show"
- WSTC/WNLK Radio's "The Peter Schiff Show"
- Talk Radio Network's "America's Morning News"
[SORT BY CATEGORY] [SORT BY PUBLICATION TYPE]
- Will Mike Strike Out?, New York Post, 01-21-13
- Mike's Mountain Of IOUs, New York Post, 05-07-13
- Cop Out, New York Post, 05-05-13
- A Not-So-Taxing Decision On Internet Sales, Washington Examiner, 05-03-13
- Someone Must Take A Painful Hit For Municipal Peace, Financial Times, 05-02-13
- The Real FAA Lesson, National Review Online, 04-26-13
- Healing in Cambridge, New York Post, 04-25-13
- Bonded To Reality, New York Post, 04-23-13
- Britain's Mix Of Higher Taxes, Quick-Fix Austerity Hasn't Worked, Investor's Business Daily, 04-23-13
- The Q(uinn) Train, New York Post, 04-15-13
- Blame All Around In Stockton, Los Angeles Times, 04-11-13
- How London's Botch Can Shore Up Wall Street, New York Post, 03-27-13
- Food Fight: Restricting Food Stamp Use To Fight Obesity, City & State, 03-26-13
- Quinn's Sick Daze, New York Post, 03-25-13
- Osborne's "Help to Buy" Violates Every Principle Of Economics - And Of Fiscal Governance, Too, Conservative Home, 03-22-13
- Long Islanders Are Still Paying For Three LIPA Bailouts, Newsday, 03-13-13
- Death By Nuisance, New York Post, 03-08-13
- Congestion Zoning, City & State, 02-28-13
- Subway Stupidity, New York Post, 02-28-13
- An End to the Inside Job?, New York Times Room for Debate, 02-12-13
- The True Subway Peril, New York Post, 02-11-13
- More Articles >>
- Nicole Gelinas discusses her recent Winter 2013 City Journal piece, "New York's Sandy Scorecard." , 01-31-13
- Nicole Gelinas discusses her article "The Port Authority's Cloudy Future" with Ben Plotinsky, 11-25-12
- Nicole Gelinas discusses her City Journal article, "Dodd-Frank's Protection Racket.", 07-25-12
- E21's Chris Papagianis talks with Nicole Gelinas about her article "Presidential Candidates Should Get Real On Mortgages", 06-23-11
- Nicole Gelinas discusses her article from the winter 2011 issue of City Journal, "Twenty-First-Century Reaganomics", with Brian Anderson., 01-14-11
- Nicole Gelinas and Nouriel Roubini discuss his book, Crisis Economics: A Crash Course in the Future of Finance, and what lead to the financial crisis, 07-20-10
- Nicole Gelinas and Roger Lowenstein discuss his book and what lead to the financial crisis, 07-16-10
- Nicole Gelinas and Philip Augar, former British banker and author of Reckless: The Rise and Fall of the City, discuss his book and what lead to the financial crisis, 07-14-10
- E.J. McMahon, director of the Manhattan Institute's Empire Center discusses MTA salaries with Nicole Gelinas, a contributing editor of City Journal, 06-11-10
- Nicole Gelinas and Brian Anderson Discusses Her New Book, 12-01-09
- Brian Anderson and Nicole Gelinas discuss her article "Transit for Tomorrow"., 07-08-09
- Nicole Gelinas reads her article 'Stimulating Some Thinking', 02-03-09
- Nicole Gelinas reads her article 'Mike's Doomsday Budget? If Only', 02-03-09
- Nicole Gelinas reads her article 'The President's First Roadblock', 01-28-09
- Nicole Gelinas discusses her article 'Can the Feds Uncrunch Credit?', 01-22-09
- Nicole Gelinas reads her article 'Detroit: The Abyss Awaiting NYC?', 01-15-09
- Nicole Gelinas discusses her article and the MTA's financial crisis with Paul Beston, 12-05-08
- Nicole Gelinas reads her article 'Will Growing Number Of Bailouts Make Economic Problems Worse?', 09-12-08
- Nicole Gelinas reads her article 'In Gustav's Wake', 09-03-08
- Nicole Gelinas reads her article 'New York Gets Steamrolled', 03-11-08
- More Podcasts >>
City Journal articles
- The British Evasion, Spring 2013
- Freedom, Privacy, and Boston, 26 April 2013
- Thatchers Lesson for Today, 12 April 2013
- Bold Cyprus, 20 March 2013
- New Yorks Sandy Scorecard, Winter 2013
- Preaching to the Choir on Housing, 28 January 2013
- What New York Can Learn from Britains Rail Fiasco, 13 January 2013
- The Port Authoritys Cloudy Future, Autumn 2012
- Gas-Guzzling Sandy, 9 November 2012
- Why Romney Lost, 7 November 2012
- The Underground Economy, 2 November 2012
- Reading the Financial Crisis, 26 October 2012
- The Problem with Four Sore Years, 17 October 2012
- No Laughing Matter, 12 October 2012
- Gotham to D.C.: Drop Dead, 9 October 2012
- Capitalism for Financial Capitalists, 7 October 2012
- Romneys Stock Market Problem, 30 September 2012
- Paralympics Fever, 4 September 2012
- Radicalizing Romney-Ryan, 13 August 2012
- The Muni-Bond Bulls, 10 August 2012
- More City Journal Articles >>