Education Working Paper
No. 9 April 2005
The Effect of Residential School Choice on Public High School Graduation Rates
- Amrein, Audrey L., and David C. Berliner (2002A). "High-Stakes Testing, Uncertainty, and Student Learning." Education Policy Analysis Archives 10, no. 18.
- --- (2002B). "An Analysis of Some Unintended and Negative Consequences of High-Stakes Testing." Education Policy Studies Laboratory, December.
- Belfield, Clive R., and Henry M. Levin (2002). "The Effects of Competition on Educational Outcomes: A Review of U.S. Evidence." National Center for the Study of Privatization in Education.
- Berliner, David C. and Bruce J. Biddle (1995). "The Manufactured Crisis." Perseus Books. Cambridge, Mass.
- Berry, Christopher (2004). "School Inflation." Education Next, fall.
- Cameron, Stephen, and James Heckman (1993). "The Nonequivalence of High School Equivalents." Journal of Labor Economics 11, no. 1.
- Chakrabarti, Rajashri (2004). "Closing the Gap." Education Next, summer.
- Cross, Richard W., Theodor Rebarber, and Justin Torres (2004). "Grading the Systems: The Guide to State Standards, Tests, and Accountability Policies." Thomas B. Fordham Foundation and Accountability Works, January.
- Education Trust (2003). "Telling the Whole Truth (or Not) About High School Graduation," December.
- Education Week (2004). "Quality Counts 2004: Count Me In."
- Fiske, Edward B. and Helen F. Ladd (2000). "When Schools Compete." Brookings Institution Press, Washington, D.C.
- Greene, Jay P. (2002). "2001 Education Freedom Index" Manhattan Institute, January.
- Greene, Jay P., and Greg Forster, (2002). "Rising to the Challenge." Manhattan Institute, October.
- --- (2003) "Public High School Graduation and College Readiness Rates in the United States." Manhattan Institute, September.
- Greene, Jay P., Greg Forster, and Marcus A. Winters (2003). "Apples to Apples." Manhattan Institute, July.
- Greene, Jay P., and Marcus A. Winters (2004). "Competition Passes the Test." Education Next, summer.
- --- (2005). "Public High School Graduation and College Readiness Rates: 1991-2002." Manhattan Institute, February.
- Haney, Walt, George Madaus, Lisa Abrams, Anne Wheelock, Jing Miao, and Ileana Gruia (2004). "The Education Pipeline in the United States 1970-2000." National Board on Education Testing and Public Policy, January.
- Hanushek, Eric A. (1996). "School Resources and Student Performance." In Gary Burtless, Ed. Does Money Matter. Brookings Institution Press, Washington, D.C.
- Hoxby, Caroline (2001). "Rising Tide." Education Next, winter.
- Jacob, Brian A. (2001). "Getting Tough? The Impact of High School Graduation Exams." Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis 23, no. 2.
- Muller, Chandra (1998). "The Minimum Competency Exam Requirement, Teachers' and Students' Expectations and Academic Performance." Social Psychology of Education 2.
- Murnane, Richard J., John B. Willett, and Kathryn Parker Boudett (1995). "Do High School Dropouts Benefit from Obtaining a GED?" Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis 17, no. 2.
- Orfield, Gary, Dan Losen, and Johanna Wald (2004) "Losing Our Future: How Minority Youth Are Being Left Behind by the Graduation Rate Crisis." Harvard Civil Rights Project, February.
- Palmer, Louann Bierlein and Rebecca Gau (2003). "Charter School Authorizing: Are States Making the Grade?" Thomas B. Fordham Institute, June.
- Raymond, Margaret E., and Eric A. Hanushek (2003). "High-Stakes Research." Education Next, summer.
- Reardon, Sean F., and Claudia Galindo (2004). "Do High-Stakes Tests Affect Students' Decisions to Drop Out of School? Evidence from NELS." Paper prepared for presentation at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, April.
- Steinback, Robert L. (2003). "The New College Try." Miami Herald, March 3, 2003.
- Stoops, Nichole (2004). "Educational Attainment in the United States: 2003." United States Census, June.
- Sum, Andrew, Paul Harrington, with Charles Bartishevich, Neeta Fog, Ishwar Khatiwata, Jacqui Motroni, Sheila Palma, Nathan Pond, Paulo Tobar, MyKhaylo Trub'skyy (2003). "The Hidden Crisis in the High School Dropout Problems of Young Adults in the U.S.: Recent Trends in Overall School Dropout Rates and Gender Differences in Dropout Behavior." Business Roundtable, February.
- Warren, John Robert, and Melanie R. Edwards (2003). "High School Exit Examinations and High School Completion: Evidence from the Early 1990s." Unpublished paper, December.
- Warren, John Robert, and Krista N. Jenkins (2003). "High School Exit Examinations and High School Dropout in Texas and Florida, 1971-2000." Unpublished paper, December.