Civil Justice Forum
No. 43 October 2005
The Time for Legal Reform Is Now, continued
- Abraham Lincoln, The Perpetuation of Our Political Institutions: Address Before the Young Men's Lyceum of Springfield, Illinois, Jan. 27, 1838, available at http://showcase.netins.net/web/creative/lincoln/speeches/lyceum.htm
- See generally Manhattan Institute, Trial Lawyers, Inc. California: A Report on the Lawsuit Industry in California, 2005; available at http://www.triallawyersinc.com/ca/ca01.html; Manhattan Institute, Trial Lawyers, Inc.: A Report on the Lawsuit Industry in America: 2003, available at http://www.triallawyersinc.com/html/part01.html
- See U.S. Tort Costs: 2004 Update, Trends and Findings on the Costs of the U.S. Tort System 5 (Towers Perrin [Tillinghast] 2005).
- Cf. President's 2005 Budget, available at http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2005/tables.html (showing 2005 homeland security spending at $30 billion and 2005 education spending at $57.3 billion).
- Cf. International Monetary Fund list of countries by GDP, 2005, available at http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/List-of-countries-by-GDP-(nominal) (showing twenty-seven countries with GDP greater than $246 billion).
- See U.S. Tort Costs: 2004 Update, supra note 3, at 2 (showing per capita U.S. tort cost of $845).
- See generally Deborah R. Hensler et al., Class Action Dilemmas: Pursuing Public Goals for Private Gain (RAND Inst. for Civ. Just. 1999), available at http://www.rand.org/publications/MR/MR969.1/MR969.1.pdf
- See Press Release, Toshiba Reaches Settlement of U.S. Lawsuit Regarding Floppy Disk Controllers in Notebook PCs, Oct. 29, 1999, available at http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/1999_10/pr2902.htm; Andy Pasztor and Peter Landers, Toshiba to Pay $2B Settlement on Laptops, The Wall St. J. Online, Oct. 31, 1999, available at http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-516294.html
- See Press Release, Congress Approves Goodlatte Class Action Reform Legislation, Feb. 17, 2005, available at http://www.house.gov/apps/list/press/va06_goodlatte/021705.html
- See Brian J. Ostrom et al., Examining the Work of State Courts, 2002: A National Perspective from the Court Statistics Project 10 (National Center for State Courts, 2003), available at http://www.ncsconline.org/D_Research/csp/2002_Files/2002_Main_Page.html (showing 15.8 million civil lawsuit filings in state court in 2002).
- See Federalist Society, Analysis: Class Action LitigationA Federalist Society Survey, 1 Class Action Watch 1, 5 (1999).
- See Peter Huber, Liability: The Legal Revolution and Its Consequences 14, 15758 (Basic Books, 1988) ("Under jury pressure, the new touchstones of technological legitimacy have become age, familiarity, and ubiquity. It is the innovative and unfamiliar that is most likely to be condemned. . . . People everywhere underestimate the risks they know well and face every day and overestimate those that are new and foreign. The familiar is safe, or at least bearable enough, no matter how appallingly dangerous it may be in reality. The unfamiliar is suspect, intrusive, and probably dangerous, no matter how reassuring the statistics may be.").
- See American Medical Association, Medical Liability Crisis Map, http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/noindex/category/11871.html
- See Office of the Asst. Secy. for Planning & Evaluation, U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Servs., Confronting the New Health Care Crisis: Improving Health Care Quality and Lowering Costs by Fixing Our Medical Liability System 3 (July 24, 2002).
- See Lester Brickman, Asbestos Litigation, Center for Legal Policy Forum, Mar. 10, 2004, available at http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/clp03-10-04.htm
- See American Bar Association, National Lawyer Population by State, available at http://www.abanet.org/marketresearch/2004nbroflawyersbystate.pdf (last visited Mar. 3, 2005) (measuring 2003 resident and active attorneys in California as 134,468); U.S. Census Bureau, available at http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06000.html (last visited Mar. 3, 2005) (estimating California's 2003 population at 35,484,453); Snapshot of America, U.S. News & World Rep., June 28, 2004, at 40 (citing Frank B. Cross, America the Adversarial, Va. L. Rev. 189, 198 (2003)).
- Compare Blue Chip Stamps v. Superior Court, 18 Cal.3d 381 (1976) (determining that a grant of class certification is not a final order and not appealable, only challengeable with a writ of mandamus), with 28 U.S.C. § 1292(f) (2005) (providing for interlocutory appeal of class certifications in federal court), and Ill. S. Ct. R. 307(a)(8) (2005) (same for Illinois courts); see Dominica C. Anderson & Kathryn L. Martin, The Asbestos Litigation System in the San Francisco Bay Area: A Paradigm of the National Asbestos Litigation Crisis, 45 Santa Clara L. Rev. 1, 12 (2004); see also Gardner v. Charles Schwab, 267 Cal. Rptr. 326 (1990); cf. California Business Roundtable, California Competitiveness Project: Assessment of California Competitiveness 3 (2004), available at http://www.cbrt.org/economy.html (last visited Mar. 4, 2005).
- See J. Clark Kelso & Kari C. Kelso, An Analysis of Punitive Damages in California Courts, 19912000 16, tab. 9 (Capital Center for Government Law & Policy 2001) (showing 223 verdicts with punitive damages in 199195, with a mean punitive award of $5,671,942, and 266 verdicts with punitives in 19962000, with a mean punitive award of $19,273,391).
- See Thomas H. Cohen & Steven K. Smith, Civil Trial Cases and Verdicts in Large Counties, 2001, Bureau of Justice Statistics Bulletin app. F (Apr. 2004); Civil Trial Cases and Verdicts in Large Counties, 1996, Bureau of Justice Statistics Bulletin app. D (Sept. 1999).
- See id.
- See California Business Roundtable, supra n. 17, at 3.
- Class Action Fairness Act of 2005, Pub. L. 109-2, 119 Stat. 4 (2005).
- See 2005 ILR/Harris State Liability Systems Ranking Study, available at http://www.instituteforlegalreform.org/harris/
- For state rankings, see http://www.instituteforlegalreform.org/harris/pdf/OverallStateRanking.pdf; for a summary of recent state-level tort reforms, see http://www.atra.org/states/
- See Emily Wagster Pettus, Legal Climate Hurt State in Push for Toyota Plant, Barbour Says, AP Apr. 27, 2004 ("In February 2003, Toyota chose to build a new plant in Texas rather than in Mississippi or several other states that courted the company. [Toyota senior vice president Dennis] Cuneo said he led the site selection for the Japanese automaker's newest plants and was impressed by Texas Gov. Rick Perry's commitment to changing that state's civil justice system").
- See Carolyn Said, Citizens' Right to Sue Limited, S.F. Chron., Nov. 4, 2004, at C1.
- See Cal. Labor Code §§ 4060(b)(1), 4656(c)(1) (West 2005); Jim Wasserman, California Lawmakers Approve Overhaul of Workers' Compensation, AP, Apr. 16, 2004.
- State Farm Mut. Auto. Ins. Co. v. Campbell, 538 U.S. 408 (2003).
- See, e.g., Simon v. San Paolo U.S. Holding Co., No. S121933 (Cal. June 16, 2005); Johnson v. Ford Motor Co., No. S121723 (Cal. June 16, 2005).
- See U.S. Senate's Frist Intends to Pass Asbestos Bill, Reuters, July 29, 2005.
- See Lawsuit Abuse Reduction Act of 2005, H.R. 420, Rep. No. 109-123, June 14, 2005.
- See Personal Responsibility in Food Consumption Act, H.R. 554, Rep. No. 109-130, June 14, 2005.
- See PricewaterhouseCoopers, 2003 PricewaterhouseCoopers Securities Litigation Study 7 (2004); Laura E. Simmons & Ellen M. Ryan, Cornerstone Research, Post-Reform Act Securities Settlements, Updated through December 2004 16 (2005).
- See Press Release, Cornerstone Research, Mar. 2, 2005, available at http://securities.stanford.edu/Settlements/REVIEW_1995-2004/Settlements_Throug h_12_2004_PR.pdf
- See U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Elections-Policy Accomplishments for 2004, Jan. 14, 2005, available at http://www.uschamber.com/issues/accomplishments/04_elections.htm; Thomas J. Donohue, State of American Business 2004, Jan. 7, 2004, available at http://www.uschamber.com/press/speeches/2004/040107tjd_stateofamericanbusine ss.htm; Thomas J. Donohue, Illinois Chamber PAC Dinner Keynote Address, Mar. 11, 2002, available at http://www.uschamber.com/press/speeches/2002/020311tjd_illinois.htm