Michael Knox Beran is a contributing editor to the Manhattan Institute's City Journal, a lawyer, and a writer. He is the author of Pathology of the Elites (Rowman & Littlefield, 2010), Forge of Empires 1861-1871 (Free Press, 2007), Jefferson's Demons (Free Press, 2003), and The Last Patrician (St. Martin's, 1998).
Beran's writing has appeared in a number of publications, among them City Journal, The Wall Street Journal, National Review, American Heritage, The New Yorker, Humanitas, George, the New York Daily News, and The Claremont Review of Books.
He has been a guest on Charlie Rose, CNN's Inside Politics, Larry Kudlow, Extension 720 with Milt Rosenberg, and other television and radio programs.
Beran has practiced law in several New York firms. He holds degrees from Columbia (B.A., magna cum laude, 1988), Cambridge (M.Phil., 1990), and Yale Law School (J.D., 1993). He lives with his wife and daughters in Westchester County, New York.
[SORT BY CATEGORY] [SORT BY PUBLICATION TYPE]
- Came the Hero, National Review Online, 06-25-12
- The Dark Night of Islam, National Review Online, 05-10-11
- Shrink-Think After Tucson, National Review Online, 01-19-11
- NEA Initiative Debauches The Educational Value of Verse, Washington Examiner, 12-22-10
- Obama's Paradox, National Review Online, 11-06-08
City Journal articles
- Abolish Social Studies, Autumn 2012
- Obamas Doom and Gloom, 1 November 2012
- Lionel Trilling in His Labyrinth, 21 October 2011
- Exposing the Elites, 24 March 2011
- Lionel Trilling and the Social Imagination, Winter 2011
- Rhyme Scheme, Autumn 2010
- A Cautionary Election Note, 3 November 2010
- The Banality of Race, 23 April 2010
- Obamas Schizophrenic Politics, 29 January 2010
- Romantic Science, 4 December 2009
- Can the Polis Live Again?, Autumn 2009
- Parsing the Lexicon, Summer 2009
- Lincoln and the Moral Imagination, 11 February 2009
- Dukedom Large Enough, 9 January 2009
- Obama, Shaman, Summer 2008
- Mastery, Not Drift, 23 May 2008
- Hearts of Darkness, Winter 2008
- Appetite for Destruction, 30 November 2007
- How Lincoln Saved the World, 23 October 2007
- Clarence Thomas, Created Equal, 2 October 2007
- More City Journal Articles >>