TABLE OF CONTENTS
PART I: RESOURCES
Money Myth"Schools perform poorly because
Special Ed Myth"Special education programs
3. The Myth of Helplessness"Social problems
Class Size Myth"Schools should reduce class sizes;
5. The Certification Myth"Certified or more experienced teachers are substantially more effective."
6. The Teacher Pay Myth"Teachers are badly underpaid."
PART II: OUTCOMES
Myth of Decline"Schools are performing
Graduation Myth"Nearly all students graduate
PART III: ACCOUNTABILITY
High Stakes Myth"The results of high-stakes tests
11. The Push-Out Myth"Exit exams cause more students to drop out of high school."
12. The Accountability Burden Myth"Accountability systems impose large financial burdens on schools."
PART IV: CHOICE
Inconclusive Research Myth"The evidence on the
14. The Exeter Myth"Private schools have higher test scores because they have more money and recruit high-performing students while expelling low-performing students."
15. The Draining Myth"School choice harms public schools."
16. The Disabled Need Not Apply Myth"Private schools won't serve disabled students."
17. The Democratic Values Myth"Private schools are less effective at promoting tolerance and civic participation."
18. The Segregation Myth"Private schools are more racially segregated than public schools."
About the Authors